Tumors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SAAER45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of the fish in my outdoor pond has developed several tumor formations on its body and has pop-eye. I first noticed it after the ice started to melt off the pond. I contemplated moving it, but figured it had been in there for so long that if it was contagious, the other fish were long infected (maybe stupid, I don't know). Today, I noticed another one of my fish has developed what doesn't look like a tumor, but more of a swelling of the abdomen in one spot. Neither of them appears "sick", and are moving around and eating normally. Any idea what could be causing this and how I could remedy the situation?

Thanks,
John

Any chance you can get a pic? The first fis, where are the "tumors" or can you explain them in more detail?

Any chance you can get a pic?
Yeah, I'll try and get one up
where are the "tumors" or can you explain them in more detail?
There are two masses, one is essentially on top of his head, and the other is where the anal fin meets the body. I was told to feel them to see if they were hard or soft, and they were hard. When I took it out of the water, I noticed no discoloration in the affect areas. Like I said, the first fish has pop-eye in both eyes as well, but neither of the fish seems to be slowing down nor do they look sick.

Sounds like an internal bacterial/viral infection or possibly abdominal dropsy. Do you have a QT?

Any update on the fish? I agree it sounds like some sort of internal infection. Sometimes, tumors can just grow and never cause problems. If your fish is also showing signs of popeye though, it would seem to me that something else is also wrong.

Agree with Devilishturtles... while I don't have a pond myself, my parents have had one for nearly 20 years now. One of their longest living koi has had a "bump" for at least 10 years and looks like he has a curved spine from the top. It just developed one winter, but has never shown any signs that it bothers him. Eats fine. Swims fine. One happy camper.

However, it never had popeye symptoms - that sounds like somethings up.

Back
Top Bottom