Turning filter off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite8765

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I turn my filter off when I do water changes? The water gets below the filter, so it just sucks up air, but I don't want all the gunk to go back down into the water when I turn it off.

Turning the filter off during PWCs (partial water changes) is fine and is actually recommended by some people so the filter doesn't burn itself out running on empty. No gunk will go back to the water, it's all held in the filter media which acts like a sponge.

It is best to turn it off so you don't cause cavitation with the pump. Cavitation is simply introducing voids in the water with pockets of air that cause a lot of stress on the impeller shaft. Most hobby level aquarium pumps have very delicate shafts for the impeller, and cavitation and severely shorten the life of the pump.

Okay thank you! But I noticed the filter drains most of the water out when I turn it off. Is this normal?

Totally normal. :) No need to remove the biowheel or anything. I'm overstocked at the moment, so I have to change my water every two days. Turn filter off, drain, refill, turn back on. No cycling problems. The biowheel would have to dry out for at least 24 hours before you'd lose any beneficial bacteria at all.

:confused:The biowheel would have to dry out for at least 24 hours before you'd lose any beneficial bacteria at all.

Thanks! I removed the bio wheel and put it in a container of tank water while changing my water just to be safe.

I turn my filter and heater off when I'm changing water. I have a canister and the spray bar makes a mess if it's not submerged. My heater isn't supposed to run without being submerged, according to the label. I leave the air pump on though.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Turning off your filter and heater are always the best bet. No worries about ruining stuff. The water you put the biowheel in was tank water or dechlorinated water right? If it was just tape water you can kill all the benificial bacteria and you could go through a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom