turtle tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

I've got a yellow bellied slider who is rapidly growing. I figure a 55 gallon tank is good, yeah? What kind of filter should I use with that, or does it matter whether it's internal or external etc?

Also, how are those floating basking platform things?

He currently has one red light he basks under. I'm a little confused as to the lighting requirements for the guy.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!

turtles require uvb lights to help their shell grow along with their bodies do you know if the bulb you have is uvb? because thats what it needs

Hello, thanks for responses.

The 40 gallon breeder looks good. I saw one with a cutout on the side for the filter, which I liked.

I don't know what the light is. I figure I have to upgrade the whole situation. Everything on this turtle seems to be growing pretty good, though. A little too good!

I inherited the care of this turtle, basically, so I am learning as I go. I feed him these floating turtle stick things and occasionally throw in some blood worms. Will he eat anything?

YBS=goldfish lol. They'll eat till they pop, even swim to you at the side of the tank and beg. Just get a good turtle pellet/stick, ans supplement with shrimp and fresh fruit, especially watermelon. My wife loves her sliders, and they can get pretty personable

yeah he will pretty much eat anything. i would continue with the pellets and bloodworms and also try to feed him some lettuce as a treat. you should also look into calcium supplements that you put in their water. they are about 10 bucks at petco for a 3 month supply and will keep your turtle healthy. i would personally use a canister filter for a turtle tank because a HOB will make a noisy waterfall. i would stay away from feeding it goldfish they have too much fat and can make your turtle unhealthy

turtleshack.com is good. they have a lot of rare turtles and good info on care. if your looking for cheaper parts amazon is good for finding good deals.

+1 on the canister filter...

I've got a YBS and have found that the canister (rated for 3x's the amount of gallons the tank will hold) used with an under gravel filter (with a minimum of 3" of the small river rock pebbles/gravel) has kept maintenance to a minimum. I thought it would be a nightmare for upkeep with all the waste, however now I can spend more time enjoying my little guy.

No experience with the floating turtle platforms, however I just used slate and other random river rocks collected - broke some slate up & siliconed some together to create both a platform & an underwater tunnel...he's super happy!
Oh, and for feeding - just make sure it's Romaine & not iceberg lettuce that's fed to him/her...I am not a fan of bloodworms, but neither is my turtle - he LOVES black worms though!! And, if keeping live worms - Aquatic Foods makes a 'worm keeper' - makes it easier when rinsing the worms.

Good luck to you & your YBS. ;)

Oh - and one more suggestion with the canister set-up- I like to keep the uptake & return hose at opposite ends of the tank for maximum water circulation. ;)

Back
Top Bottom