turtles, shrimps, crabs, crayfish, glofish and a cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surf86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Aquaponic tank for turtles, shrimp, crabs, crayfish, glofish and a cat

Hello Aquarium Advice forum members,

I'd like to make a small 5 to 15 gallon freshwater aquarium with at least 2 of each of these (except the cat. She won't fit in the aquarium). Obviously, I'd like them to be non aggressive to any of the other animals in the aquarium, but also species that are as cheap as possible.

I'd just like to know if a setup like this is possible and what I'd need to do to make it work. If a setup like this wouldn't work, what combination(s) of these animals are possible?

Secondly, is it possible to turn an aquarium like this into an aquaponics system like the "Aquafarm"?

Third, would it be possible to grow plants INSIDE the aquarium, or would this complicate things to the point of not being worth it?

I was also hoping someone had some advice for cat-proofing an aquarium with some or all of these animals. I plan to get a rescue cat some time in the future.

Thanks for reading. :)

Cherry shrimp make a wonderful addition to small tanks, and they will clean the algae for you as a bonus! They will get along fine with glofish, although I personally prefer the more natural form of the zebra danio instead of the genetically modified ones. You can probably fit 5-10 fish in a small tank (no less, as they are group fish). As for crabs, crayfish, and turtles, I don't think that they would be the best choice, but I would definitely recommend African dwarf frogs (not to be confused with the more aggressive African clawed frogs). They are small, peaceful, easy to care for, and adorable. For freshwater plants I would recommend java fern, java moss, anubias, and cryptocornye. Cat proofing is fairly easy. Have a sturdy stand, tight fitting lid, and no easy way for the cat to get on top.

Someone here made a nice spreadsheet listing all of the nano species I'll try to find it again and link it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom