Two cartridges in a marineland filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just (FINALLY!) set up my tank, a 56 gallon, and have two Marineland Penguin 200s on it for now. During set-up, I saw a note that says adding a second cartridge behind the first one would give you "superior filtration" or something like that. The filters only come with one cartridge each so I'd have to go buy some more.

Does anyone know how much better it would be to add a second? I'll probably do it anyway because it can't hurt, but I'm just wondering what difference it would make.

I would assume that adding another cartiridge would cause the water to be filtered through two walls of carbon/floss. It would also add another spot for beneficial bacteria to grow.

I have a penguin 350.. I use the second empty space your talking about for items like purigen.. but while cycling my tank I put a filter from my 27g and 30g in there tank cycled in 2 weeks..

Just be carefull if you do add a second filter behind it , eventually it will clogg really fast causing the water to overflow... I really hate that because there is no way to adjust the water flow like on my older hang on back filters that has twisting things on top of the tube

I have the same filter, for a while I had a 2nd one in there. Always have to be careful though because water can overflow sometimes. I ended up taking it out so that my water would not overflow anymore.

I like the idea of being able to put an extra one in there just in case I needed it.

Back
Top Bottom