Two male Apistos in 29g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skrapeNKA

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started this tank off with 1 male and 2 females. The desired result was achieved with two spawns. However, one damaged swim bladder, an impaction, and a mysterious vanishing later, I was left with only 2 strong fry. Now that they've both more or less grown out, what I thought was a male and female has turned out to be 2 males (I assume the smaller fish I thought could have been a female was from the second, later batch of fry).

They generally seem to get on more or less without incident, the larger male obviously chases or rams the smaller one occasionally (mostly when feeding). My question is whether anyone has managed to successfully keep two male apistos in a configuration like this? Also what you might be thinking introducing a female (maybe a few???) might do?

These are my initial foray into cichlid territory, I've mostly kept dwarf species fish with shrimp so the territorial behaviours of these fish are a bit of a mystery to me. My larger tank has a small, 'two neighbourhood' system of multifasciatus right now with one male and two females on either side of the tank. I feel like I clearly couldn't house 6 apistos in a 29g regardless of the tank being filtered by a canister.

Any thoughts welcome! I'd prefer not to have to give up one of the fish I 'raised' myself but I'm mindful of keeping the animals' best interest top of mind!

Back
Top Bottom