Two male rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fusco45

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I recently bought a male and female GBR, unfortunately after a few days I noticed that the female was barely swimming around and ultimately ended up dying

Not wanting the other GBR to be alone, I went to the store to buy another but they only had golden rams and they were all males

So the guy at my LFS told me that the two males should be fine together...Well after adding the golden ram I noticed that my GBR is chasing him around the tank and bumping into him, no nipping or anything that I can see of, he just chases him around and then will stop for a bit, and then he continues to do it.

I've already tried moving plants/decorations, I even added two more plants to break up territories but alas that has not worked either.

I cant really find too much on the topic, So that is why I am now here. Hopefully someone can shed some light on me if this is normal behavior or if I should be concerned. Again, its nothing more than chasing him around and every so often he gets close enough to "bump" into his side, no nipping from what I can tell.

Thanks for the help everyone!

That's sad,I'm not an expert but maybe if you can't find any info here see if you have a really good aquarium shop with someone that knows what they are talking about,it's very stressful seeing that :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wouldn't worry unless you see real aggression. I've got two rainbow cichlids in my barb tank and they've been exactly the way you've described, for over a month now. Interestingly I see the male really color up when he gets bumped on the side and chased. It does not appear to be aggressive behavior to me. On the other hand, if you see torn fins or worse, time to rehome. For now, just give them time to settle down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom