Two year old 29 biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sellhomz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I've been lurking for a while reading as much as I can. I was in freshwater for 25 years and switched to SW 2years ago. I have just ordered the tunze 9002 skimmer and media basket, skimmer cup from intank. So my question is trying to get rid of alge. I have removed some rocks and brush off and put back in. Not more than two at a time. I have reduced my feeding to once a day and only what I can see them eat. I have a peppermint shrimp 4-6 snails and some red and blue leg hermit crabs. I had bought an emerald crab but don't see it anymore. Also a watchman goby two fire fish a green chromis I had three blue chromis but only one is still there other disappeared. Also a large mushroom. Do you just rely on water changes for cleaning rock?

Attachments

• image-1646146457.jpg
    image-1646146457.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-2400691126.jpg
    image-2400691126.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2187009239.jpg
    image-2187009239.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3555939996.jpg
    image-3555939996.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 119
What's your light schedule? What are your water parameters, like nitrates, etc? How often and how much PWCs do you do?

This is loaded question IMO. Flow is very important for one and of course water changes, not over feeding and a good light schedule to name a few.

I have a bio cube also and it's now a little over a year old, no issues (knock on wood)

I can only speak based on my experience and practices.

I have the inTank media rack, I use to have the skimmer, I think the skimmer for the bio cube a waste of money and I'll explain why. I had one like I mentioned. You need to keep the water level at a consistent level which is impossible in chamber 2 where you have to put the Tunze 9002, because that water evaporates everyday and you'll notice the the level dropping. Once it drops your skimmer will not work properly and you'll have to constantly dial it in. I was doing this almost twice a day!

Since then I've gotten rid of the skimmer and just placed live rock rubble in chamber 2 along side the media rack. I run purigen, phosguard and chemi pure elite. I also change my poly floss/filter floss 2x's a week and test regularly.

I do 5 gallon water changes every Saturday.

I mentioned flow before. Low is important in keeping the water clean and clear. Too little flow and you won't kick debris around and allow for the filter intake to get it. I run a upgraded pump the Maxijet 1200 and 1 mp10 Vortech set on 60%

You also want to agitate the surface an from your pictures the outtake and power heads are pointing downward or not at the surface. One should be pointing upwards IMHO.

What type of power are you running? Have you checked for phosphates?

What's your water changing schedule like?

Here's my tank after 1 year

image-4085221801.jpg

image-1050328337.jpg

I run a single AI SOL BLUE LED fixture cut into the stock hood.

Also I forgot to ask... Are you using any chems? Phyto etc? This can also play a factor into many issues.

Thanks for the information. my salinity is running just over 1.025. My ph is 7.5 ammonia is .25 nitrates and nitrites are both 0 and phosphate is .5. I have the stock lights and original pump n chamber 3. Lights are 10 hours both bulbs and one hour blue on either side for dawn and dusk. 10 anti 10 pm. I need to to a better schedule of WC since I only do 6 gal a month. DO you vacuum your sand each water change? I have the hydor koraila 750 evolution pump on right rated at 850 gph i had it higher at surface but just moved it down to hit the rocks more after looking at other photo of tanks In the forum. I will move the stock outflow to surface. I was thinking about another 425 nano koraila for the other side of tank.

Attachments

• image-961611117.jpg
    image-961611117.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the information. my salinity is running just over 1.025. My ph is 7.5 ammonia is .25 nitrates and nitrites are both 0 and phosphate is .5. I have the stock lights and original pump n chamber 3. Lights are 10 hours both bulbs and one hour blue on either side for dawn and dusk. 10 anti 10 pm. I need to to a better schedule of WC since I only do 6 gal a month. DO you vacuum your sand each water change? I have the hydor koraila 750 evolution pump on right rated at 850 gph i had it higher at surface but just moved it down to hit the rocks more after looking at other photo of tanks In the forum. I will move the stock outflow to surface. I was thinking about another 425 nano koraila for the other side of tank.

Another power head isn't a bad idea. Your lights IMO can be turned down. Say blues come on at 9am then whites at 11am. Whites off at 7pm-8pm then blues off at 9pm-10pm.

Definitely do your water changes more. Once a week would be better much much better. 5 gallons is all you need. I get my salt pre mixed by my friend it's Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

I NEVER touched my sand in over a year. I have sand sifters and a pistol shrimp that do more then enough IMO. I have a deep sand bed and really don't want to mess with it.

Your pH seems low. Stability is vital though. I maintain a pH of 8.2 in my tank with a salinity of 1.026

Your phosphates aren't bad but of course ideally you'd want 0. Nitrates I always have .05 and 0 ammonia.

Remember there such a thing as "too clean" of a tank believe it or not.

Glad to help, if I did. Anymore questions feel free!

Dino aka The Con

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom