UGF vs. Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunterr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a 55 gallon tank with a fluval 304 canister filter. The tank had to be completely cleaned (Including the filter) and now im starting "new". I was talked into buying an undergravel filter, but read up on them and discovered that they are outdated. My question is, would it be possible to run both the canister filter and the UGF at the same time. The tank doesn't have any water or fish in it right now in case I should take the UGF back.

No reason to run both. I would definitely go with a canister over a ugf anyday. They are not necessarily outdated as they can be beneficial when used properly but a canister is definitely the better choice.

I'd go with the canister and maybe add a hang on back filter. I always run at least 2 filters on tanks for redundancy. If one dies on you in the middle of the night, you don't lose all your beneficial bacteria.

Alright. Thank you all for your help!!

I used UGF's in the 80's and they turn into nightmares over time. Detris will get trapped and build up over time which will keep nitrates high regardless of how many WC's you do. I would actually return it.

Just be sure with your canister that you clean it at least once a month. Many people think you only have to clean a canister filter every 6 months which isn't so. When canisters aren't cleaned regularly they too will cause nitrates to rise in a tank.

I used UGF's in the 80's and they turn into nightmares over time. Detris will get trapped and build up over time which will keep nitrates high regardless of how many WC's you do. I would actually return it.

Just be sure with your canister that you clean it at least once a month. Many people think you only have to clean a canister filter every 6 months which isn't so. When canisters aren't cleaned regularly they too will cause nitrates to rise in a tank.

I agree about cleaning the mechanical part often but you don't want to overly clean the biomedia in a canister. I know YOU know that, but I'm just clarifying for the OP. In a 2213/15/17 I would wash the first blue pad and the ceramic rings frequently (in tank water in a bucket) but I would only rinse the "ehfisubstrat" (biomedia, in the next strata up after the rings) every 6+ months. And even then, only rinse maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of it.

I never rinse any bio-media in canisters unless it's filthy for some reason. Not even ceramic rings/tubes. I do clean any pre-sponges that come before the bio-media monthly.

Back
Top Bottom