Undergravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Printerhands

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would it matter if I used an under gravel filter since I'm going to do live plants with a substrate. Like will it take to much of the nutrients out of the gravel and substrate?

I read somewhere that keeping live plants with Under Gravel filters is not good since the roots can grow down into it and mess it up somehow. If I was you, I would just remove the filter now, before things get too settled and get a HOB filter or a canister filter. Under gravel filters are known for not doing a good job since they kind of just hold all the muck down under, and that needs to be taken out and cleaned under every year or so. I just don't think it is worth it IMO , but some people here swear by them.

Everything I've read says undergravel filters just aren't worth the hassle, whether you have plants or not. Just keep up with gravel cleaning and you should be fine w/ a HOB or canister (on all my tanks, I have only overflows or HOBs and my water is crystal clear). Plus, I have read that they can actually decrease the amount of BB in the gravel.

That sounds good to me. I haven't set my tank up yet. I'm just getting it all figured out before I do.

Gravel filter + fine substrate for plants= disaster. Like everyone is saying go with a HOB or canister. My experience with hobs was terrible, got a can filter and will never look back, 100 times better.

You have to move with the times

The under gravel filter is dead long live the canister HOB and internal filter

The last under gravel filter plate I saw say in my local fish store and it had been there ages as it had 1/2" of dust on it

I read somewhere that keeping live plants with Under Gravel filters is not good since the roots can grow down into it and mess it up somehow. If I was you, I would just remove the filter now, before things get too settled and get a HOB filter or a canister filter. Under gravel filters are known for not doing a good job since they kind of just hold all the muck down under, and that needs to be taken out and cleaned under every year or so. I just don't think it is worth it IMO , but some people here swear by them.

My roommate used to have a heavily stocked planted tank before he moved in with me and used an under gravel filter and his tank was happy happy but instead of the power head sucking the stuff out he had it to where it was pushing water down into it and up through the gravel. Just an idea. I use a filstar xp and I love it it does such a good job I only have to replace the fine stuff every 3 months but I do rince all the foam every month though.

My roommate used to have a heavily stocked planted tank before he moved in with me and used an under gravel filter and his tank was happy happy but instead of the power head sucking the stuff out he had it to where it was pushing water down into it and up through the gravel. Just an idea. I use a filstar xp and I love it it does such a good job I only have to replace the fine stuff every 3 months but I do rince all the foam every month though.

You're describing a reverse flow UG filter. An improvement in that (hopefully) filtered water is pumped into the plates and conceivably debris is flushed out of the substrate and into the filter intake. However, just like with a traditional UG filter, if you are using substrate fertilizers for root feeding plants, most likely they will be introduced into the water column and may lead to algae problems.

You're describing a reverse flow UG filter. An improvement in that (hopefully) filtered water is pumped into the plates and conceivably debris is flushed out of the substrate and into the filter intake. However, just like with a traditional UG filter, if you are using substrate fertilizers for root feeding plants, most likely they will be introduced into the water column and may lead to algae problems.

Oh I didn't know that was common practice. I've seen pics of his tank and it was beautiful. Could have been the co2 and his weekly 50% pwc it was a 90g fully automated.

Undergravel Filters

Would it matter if I used an under gravel filter since I'm going to do live plants with a substrate. Like will it take to much of the nutrients out of the gravel and substrate?

Hello Print...

UGFs aren't good for planted tanks. The filters will become clogged with roots and particles from the substrate and create water quality problems. These types of filters are really obsolete.

For good, basic and inexpensive filtration, I'd suggest using the type that hang on the back of the tank. These are the most popular. Hagen Aquaclear has a reliable product. Just get one with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of your tank in gallons and change half the water in the tank every week. This will keep the water pure for your fish and plants.

B

Back
Top Bottom