Unidentified disease/illness with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy folks :)
Some of you may remember me I use to frequent this site quite a bit, still pop in ocassionally, I've been rather busy at work, with a new baby and with a 'Oscar' aka 'Astronotus ocellatus' specific site.
I'm gonna have to get over here more often, this is a topnotch site with excellent people, that's why I bring a problem to y'all amongst others.
Here we go...
First the usual gamut of questions...

Tank size -10gal
Water parameters, NH3 NO2 NO3 PH, temp
NH3 0ppm NO2 0ppm NO3 averages 5-10ppm PH 7.5 GH5' KH2' temp77-78'f
Filtration -AC300
Established tank -Yes
New tankmates/decor - No
Prior/recent history of illness disease - had some trouble with other platies with clamped fins, acting lethargic and sudden death.
No symptoms like shown on this Platies pic.
Current illness/disease symptoms/duration - Pic shows tricolor platie with wierd growth/parasite/infection on head. Showed no signs of stress, eating, breathing and behaving as normal. I hadn't closely examined fish in two days and was shocked to find this.
Size/age of fish - 1.5" had this fish for aprox 6+months
Tankmates - 5 other asst'd platies and a SAE.

Injury, infection, heater burn, disease, parasite or what? I'm at a loss for diagnosis and I haven't been at a loss for anything for quite awhile and I don't like it.

thumb_platy_front_disease3.jpg

platy_side_disease2.jpg

platy_top_disease1.jpg

Very weird. The sore itself looks fine (ie: not open, red, puss coming out, etc) so I'd be inclined to believe it is simply an abnormal growth. A genetic malady that is causing it. I'd keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't get larger or open up.

HTH

I've had several platies with raised scale in a small area. Eventually the scales fall off and you are left with a big white spot.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
I've had several platies with raised scale in a small area. Eventually the scales fall off and you are left with a big white spot.
Did it look like this? For lack of a better description...
It looks like someone took some brown chile pepper seeds and randomly stacked then on her head.
like the scales in that spot thickened, changed shape, turned brown and grew over and on top of one another in one confined area.

I've got similar on one of my swordtails right now. I believe they're a type of tumor of some sort. Another sword that I recently gave away had 2 of the spots like that, raised fins, eventually became white. Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't.

I haven't had any deaths or wierd behaviour because of them so far.

Back
Top Bottom