Unknown fish!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387587166.708682.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387587177.990678.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387587190.273668.jpg

It looks like a white/pink goldfish, does anyone know what it is? Thanks!!!

It's a goldfish with a variation in pigment (or lack of pigment). The gills appear reddish because the normal pigmentation would otherwise be covering them up.

It's a goldfish with a variation in pigment (or lack of pigment). The gills appear reddish because the normal pigmentation would otherwise be covering them up.

Thanks! I knew he looked like a goldfish, but he lacked pigment :) Also, I have an aerator and he seems to play in the bubbles, is that normal fish behavior?
Thanks!

:fish2:

He looks like a shubunkin. I think that variant is called ghost or bristol

twiddlemuffin is bang on correct. When two shubunkins are bred together, the results yield 50% coloured shuunkins, 25% brown (natural type colouration) ans 25% of these pink coloured fish with clear gill covers. In recent years, instead of discarding these fish in favour of the coloured variants, breeders have marketed them as 'ghost' goldfish. The same goes for 'calico' fancies too - I have some 'ghost' fantails in stock at the moment

UPDATE!!! Hey everyone! I just came across this old thread and wanted to give everyone an update! As you know, I had the Goldie and a swordtail in a 10 gallon! Yes, a 10 gallon!! So, I realized that it was too small when the Goldie got to two inches. So, I searched on Craigslist, and found a 40 gallon for 40 bucks! So now I have a total of 10 fish in the 40 (all the fish are in my signature). Anyway, thanks for all the advice in the Goldie!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391234414.409776.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391234434.593006.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391234454.780128.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391234473.071585.jpg

Cool, you went from one fish per 5g to one fish per 4g .... oops!

Seriously though, the goldfish and the tinfoil are highly likely to eat the neons when they are a little larger. Goldfish should never be kept in a trop community tank.

Cool, you went from one fish per 5g to one fish per 4g .... oops!

Seriously though, the goldfish and the tinfoil are highly likely to eat the neons when they are a little larger. Goldfish should never be kept in a trop community tank.

Hey, it's better than having them all in a 10 gal at 20 fish per gallon (that's actually pretty accurate!) I think the Goldie is fine in the community tank because I keep it in the expectable temp range for all of the fish :)

Mmmmmmm, the Mail eh? Can you see the fish's brain in that picture? You would have to see through it's skull!! Can you see any other organs inside that fish? Not the most transparent is it. The mail isn't the most transparent newspaler either, lol

I have bred thousands of fish like yours. As I said, they are a derivitive of the shubunkin. The same applies to calico fancies, which are just the fancy (deformed) version of the shubunkin. They have only quite recently become commercial , being sold as ghlst goldfish. They used to be a trash fish, culled in favour of the coloured siblings.

lol recently in petsmart and all they had in their fantails were those ghost varieties and yeah hes a ghost usually albinos are those creepy ones with red eyes :eggface: - thats close enough to the creepiness have you guys seen an albino crocidilian so scary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom