Unknown life growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed this strange white growth a couple of days ago. It appears in clumps; one batch here, another over there... It also seems to be climbing the sides of my tank. Any idea what it is, and whether it's harmful or not. If it is harmful to my tank, any help with removing it?

Attachments

• downsized_0117091319.jpg
    downsized_0117091319.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 83
I would say Purrbox is correct. Here is a photo of staghorn algae:

staghorn1.jpg

And an associated LINK

I think it looks really cool. I'd keep it as long as it isn't eating fish. No idea what it is though.

Don't give the aliens a foothold...

As with everyone else, I don't know what it is. I saw a similar post recently and someone suggested slime mold--which is a Protist. Whatever. I can think of no good reason to keep it in your tank ( curiosity is NOT good enough ).

I would use one of those siphon gizmos and suck the whole thing up and out. And be vigilant so that when spores--or whatever it uses--germinate you can nip them early.

I noticed this strange white growth a couple of days ago. It appears in clumps; one batch here, another over there... It also seems to be climbing the sides of my tank. Any idea what it is, and whether it's harmful or not. If it is harmful to my tank, any help with removing it?

The reason I suggested freshwater colonial hydroids is that I have recently had them show up in my planted tank here. (I also had them years ago in an unplanted tank of oscars.) The polyps should be readily visible with a hand lens. I tried to remove mine manually, as I had small rainbowfish fry in the tank, but without much success. However, they have since disappeared, thanks (I suspect) to my growing colony of cherry shrimp. (I know cherry shrimp will eat hydra, so suspect they are just as happy eating the colonial species.) Anyway, try checking with a magnifying glass to see if you can see polyps.

Tony

Don't be dense...

If this was an experimental tank, or a I-wonder-what-grow-if...tank. Then I would agree. And as much as this does incite interest and would in my own tank especially, I see why one might want to study it...

But if something new and mysterious is growing that you cannot identify--and thus have no idea if it is toxic, or even just potentially harmful...and you have valued fish in the tank, then there is no reason to hazard them on a whim. Unless that is how you are wired.

:rolleyes:

If curiosity isn't good enough, why even have a tank?

Back
Top Bottom