Unknown white things on the glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riddick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Noobie here.

I have a lot of these white things all over the glass on our tropical freshwater setup,
I have looked in various places online and cannot identify them, they look to be attached to the glass at one end, with the other moving with the flow of the water, from what I can see, they look almost conical in shape.

I have attached photos to help with diagnosis, apologies for the poor quality
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415998644.738971.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415998678.785723.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415998722.489112.jpg

Many thanks

Will

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Had to look that one up, if they are hydra I assume that they are very young as they are only 1mm long at the moment and I cannot see any tentacles.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't think it's planaria, from the reading that I've done, planaria is usually pinkish in colour, these are deffinately white.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some type of Freshwater Cnidaria is most likely as it's attached. That's what I think. I don't have an extensive knowledge on the subject though.

Clearing up :)

I took high res photo's to my LFS and the guy there wasn't sure about them either, he said to wait a couple of days to see if they develop into something more recognisable.

Anyway its 4 days after I first saw them and they are clearing up on their own, my fish seem to be eating them, don't know if thats a good thing or not?!?!?
I'll keep a close eye on things, hopefully these mystery creatures are gone for good, fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help J.Mcpeak (y)

Fish often solve this kind of thing for us.. and if they don't, don't feed them for a few days and they'll eat most things they find. Very handy. I've never seen things quite like those, but there are so many tiny critters that live in water, thousands of them haven't even been described yet. I'm more surprised we don't see more posts like this one :).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom