unnessary things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
after reading the old thread for the cost of your sw aquarium, i noticed many people spend several hundred on LR and lighting?

if anyone recalls, i posted the thread on how much it would cost me for a 55 gal

now im reconsidering a 10 gal nano/maybe 20 gal. would i really need to spend several hundred on lighting? is it that important?

and im sure im sounding completely stuipd, but to sw fish require a reef or LR. people sound like they need it

i probably couldnt set to much up in a nano, clown fish are probably too big...

EDIT: btw what is live sand? just what it sounds like?

I dont know about the nano but on your 55 you could get a VHO retro fit for 200.00. Probably online for much cheaper. The LS is just sand that has beneficial bacteria in it to help your cycle. Some LFS have it with some small critters in it. You might want to go to the nano forum to check out concerns

theres a nano forum? just the same i could use my 20. ive decided i dont want to spend $1000 on this (unless i retire my 55 gal and possibly get a 75 gal or 125 for my fw fish)

see i dont want to see myself putting down $200 for lighting, thats why im asking if its that important?

HC, nobody said that you needed LR or lighting. That is just the way most set their tanks up. LR and a skimmer for filtration and it looks nice. Plus, many people love corals and the adventure of LR.

If you wanted to start out with just a FO tank you dont have to have LR. You could set it up with some kind of filter, maybe canister, couple of powerheads, and a heater, or maybe wait until you do want to spend the money so you can have a really nice tank.

If there is one thing everybody has told me from the beginning it is that this hobby is expensive. If you don't want to invest money, maybe you will be happier staying with the F/W for now.

naturally it'll cost money...

its not that i have a problem spending money, i just dont want to spend thousands... (with several hundred of those thousands for fancy lighting)

im going to check out pet supplies plus sw tanks next time i go out, (there the only place i know that sells them)

If you are not going to keep corals, then the lighting does not have to be expensive at all.

A 24" coralife PC fixture with 1 65w lamp is $56 online . A fixture with 2 65x lamps is $117 online. Over a 24" 20gal with 2x65watts, you would have no problems and could keep LPS corals and maybe a BTA if your water params were great.

As far as live rock, use base rock instead. Its much cheaper and will become live rock as the tank matures. I got 60# for $60 shipped.

You may want to "splurge" on a skimmer, but if it is a Fish only tank, then live rock and an HOB filter will work fine.

There are a lot of options for you, just keep asking questions and researching.

HTH

John

Back
Top Bottom