Upgrading from a 30gal to a 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camj417

Aquarium Advice Activist
In a couple months I'll be upgrading from my 30 gallon. It has been up for a year and have never had any problems I was just wondering the best way to transfer from one tank to the other the only thing I don't want to transfer is the gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Step 1: set up new 75 to your liking. Fill it about 4/5 of the way up. Let the temps settle and even out to the same as your 30. Be patient with this step

Step 2: Get a good sized Rubbermaid tub or an old spare tank will work.

Step 3: fill up the tub using water from the 30

Step 4: transfer your filter(s) and heater(s) to the tub. Keep them running.

Step 5: catch and move fish to the tub.

Step 6: remove and transfer any of the decorations/hardscape you want to.

Step 7: transfer the filter(s) and heater(s) to the new tank, or if you have brand new filter(s)/heater(s), then transfer the media over at this time.

Step 8: transfer the fish over. Try to do it one at a time, and go as slowly as you can when doing this. No point in unneeded stress ;)

Step 9: use as much of the water from the tub and 30 as possible and fill the rest of the 75 up. Truthfully, you can fill the 75 up with brand new water, it just doesn't hurt to reuse water, especially if it is chemically sound (no ammonia, no nitrite).

Step 10: leave the 75 lights off for a day or two. Let them get accustomed to their new digs and keep stress to a minimum.

I can't just put the water from the 30 into the 75 then fill it the rest of the way like I was doing a water change?

I can't just put the water from the 30 into the 75 then fill it the rest of the way like I was doing a water change?

All you would be doing is adding nitrates from your 30 water to the 75 water. It's best to just use new water.

Caleb

So I have to wait for it to cycle? Instead of being able to just switch everything over?

I'm sorry I might just be confused so if the water is the same temperature as the 30 if I switch everything over it can be all new water?

I'm sorry I might just be confused so if the water is the same temperature as the 30 if I switch everything over it can be all new water?

Yes. My steps are for if you need to tear down the first tank prior to setting up the new one, like if they are going to be in the same spot or something along those lines

Ok I get it now thank you

Back
Top Bottom