Upgrading tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doberman15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a functioning ten gallon tank. I was given a 20 gallon yesterday by my cousin. It's only a little bit higher and deeper than my current tank, but almost twice as wide. My question now is can I move everything from my one tank into that one without recycling? I don't see why it'd be an issue, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. Wanna be on the safe side.

My game plan would be to move all the ornaments, and move all of the stones (plus more obviously), plants and piping for my bubbles to the other tank. Then transfer the water and the fish. Then I thought I could treat this kind of like my partial water change and add 3 or 4 gallons to the 10 that I took out. Then in a few days add the other 3 or 4 gallons. That way it wouldn't be a temperature shock or anything like that, and I can include it into my water change.

My thought as to why I wouldn't mind the upgrade is because my female black molly is getting very aggressive. I have 5 fish in there now which may be at about the max. There's the female black molly is always attacking the female tall fin platy. She leaves the male yellow molly and the male redwag swordtail alone, then my kuhli loach is always just off in his own world. Little to no interaction with any others. I figured maybe this aggression from one female to another would have to be territorial? As I picked all of my fish because they're suppose to be very non-aggressive. I was surprised at first to see the females fighting, because I had been more concerned with the males fighting it out since I was on a 1:1 ratio.

Anyway, let me know the easiest way to go about this upgrade, and if my mindset behind it is good. I know I would be tempted to get more fish if I upgrade though. It's not nearly as fun looking at a tank if it doesn't have lots of movement!

P.S. Found a baby in my tank last night!!! My girlfriend and I were going crazy trying to find a way to separate it from the others safely while we could wait to get a breeding net. We found three total, two didn't make it until this morning in our divider, but one of them is in there still going strong. Probably dozens more hiding out in the plants.

Welcome to AA!

Do you happen to have some filter media from your 10 gallon that your 20 gallon could borrow? If so, then once added, you should have almost an instant cycle. If you are confidant that you have established media (From the 10 gallon), go ahead and add fish a little after you add the cycled filter media to the new filter (If you dont do so, they good beneficial bacteria could slowly die off due to no source of ammonia <- Fish).

Hope this gave you an idea
Enjoy the forum :)

i suggest just recycling the 20 gallon all together. I mean what's better than a nice new fresh tank. And all you'll have to do is wait a couple weeks. Just to be on the safe side just recycle. Oh and make sure you buy a new substrate for the new tank.

-Dylan

You may see a mini-cycle, but you definitely shouldn't go through an entire cycle. Just match the water temperature at the tap and fill the tank the rest of the way. There's no need to wait.

Make sure your filter is up to the task. You may have to add a second filter for adequate filtration.

Yeah my filter is rated for 10 gal - 30 gal. I figured more is better because it'd move the water surface around more. I didn't mind over shooting that part of it. I also have a larger air pump, more O2 in the water doesn't seem to hurt.

Agree with BigJim about the mini-cycle. Just watch your water parameters and if at anytime it becomes dangerous to the fish, be ready to do PWCs. Since your transferring everything over, I would think that the filter will also go to the new tank so that will even speed up the cycle (if you experience one). Also make sure everything stays wet while transferring. I also agree with an additional filter. Can never have too much filtration.

Alright the transfer seemed to run smoothly. I found a couple gross objects in the old tank, (one dead fish that was stuck in a pocket in one of the decorations, figured he was just eaten and gone since he wasn't anywhere obvious like previous deceased were found. Plus a handful of fry in some of the decorations that didn't make it for whatever reason). I put the new stones in the bottom of the new tank, then started scooping water to the new tank from the old tank. I then swapped all the decor when I was about half empty, then moved the fish when there was about an in of water left in the old tank. Then added a gallon or two of clean water each day until I reached a full tank. Haven't noticed any signs of a cycle thus far, though the water seems to be fairly cloudy in this first week with the new tank. I'm not sure if that's because of the deeper tank and the back just is further away or because the water is dirty. Anyway, no fish were lost and they seem to be enjoying their larger space. I consider it a success.

Back
Top Bottom