Upgreading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amanda.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
E planning a move from a 10 and 26 to a 55. If we use the 36 gallons of water from the other tanks and the same gravel only adding about 20 gallons of fresh water can we get away with not cycling the tank? We're using the old biowheel too.

well I would let it run for 2 days and then test your water if you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite then you should be cycled but only add like 3 or 4 fish at a time and keep testing water though to make sure everythings running okay.

The water won't have much bacteria in it, the substrate will have some but not enough to fully cycle it. The filter is the most important. If you move the filters from the other two tanks to the larger one (or move the media from the other two tanks to the larger filter) then you'll be fine.

Hi Amanda,
I see this is your first post so welcome!! :)
If you look under the freshwater- getting started section you will find loads of advice about starting new tanks.
It's a great idea to use old filter media and gravel as these will have bacteria in them. I don't think using the old water would help much though, I would start with fresh treated water.
What fish do you currently have? are you moving them all into the 55g?

Welcome to AA Amanda. :wave:
If i understand correctly and you are combining both tanks into the 55 use both filters from the original tanks on the new one and there shouldn't be any problems. You of course will still want to monitor the water parameters for a while after the upgrade and perform the necessary partial water changes according to the readings.
Good luck and happy aqauscaping :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom