Upside down swimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurencallen74

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ummm... Just recently, my 3 year old oranda began swimming in it's back. I stopped with the pellets and have been giving him peas. Is this a death sentence? He's swimming normal too, and behaving normal, but this is too bizarre. :(
Please help.

Do the peas seem to be helping? What type of food has he been eating (brand, sinking or floating)? Do you offer him veggies on a regular basis?

Hey friend!
First off, happy holidays!

Parameters are sound. I feed them New Life Spectrum. Peas, and some lettuce. I really think I need to up the veg. How often do you feed pellets. I think I may have been feeling sorry for the ever hungry fatty, and fed too much lately.

Thanks again for your help.

He's still doing it, but nowhere near as much. More just chilling at the bottom than upside down swimming. But, he is still active.

Is this a bad scenario? How often do you do PWC's? And how much?

Hi! And happy holidays to you too!! I have found fancy goldies to be sensitive to nitrate levels so keeping them as low as possible is a good decision. Pwcs are the only way to do this unless your tank is heavily planted. 50% atleast once a week is a general suggestion though i prefer atleast 2x wk with my guys. I would def up the veggies to daily if you can. Broccoli florets (flower part) cooked until they sink are great-you can throw a piece in & leave it til its either gone or replace it with fresh one in 24hrs. Cooked spinach & zucchini are also good in addition to peas. I personally like some fruits as well (chunks fresh watermelon or tangerine segments). The amount of pellets to feed is a bit subjective. Small, frequent meals are better suited to a goldfish's digestive tract but if your guy is having an issue with the food (pellets), cutting back on his feeding of them may help as will feeding more veggies. I dont know if NLS is a sinking or floating food, but if it floats, i would switch to a sinking food. Hopefully, a bit of change in his diet will help! Please do not hesitate to ask more questions! :)

Holy Crap!!! I have been doing a 15% change once a week! I didn't think you needed to do it so much! Ok. Will do.

Stats:
46 gal. Bow front
1 ryukin
1 oranda

Heavily planted

Now I feel like I really messed with them. I never do a 50%. Ok.

My poor fish. I really thought I was on point!

Thanks ladies, I truly appreciate your help!

Yes! My API Master test kit and I test every 2-3 days and would do if any levels were off, but they are always good.

When you do the nitrate test make sure you beat the crap out of the second bottle. There is a powder in the bottom of the bottle that settles. If its not mixed enough it can give false readings.

Thank you again. I really love these buggers. I have a feeling the increase in veg and PWC's will be great. Have a great Holiday! Are you in the UK?

You know if they are floating pellets (I know this from experience) you might be haveing a swim blatter infection (common in goldfish) it is where the goldfish gulps to much air while going to get food from the top and can be fatal but mine lived even though I know I didn't handle it well I just kept it moving around by "coke-sing(misspell I know sound it out)" it with my net and overnight he got better but if it is a swim bladder infection u NEED TO STOP FEEDING HIM I read that online if it continues feed him every three days...symptoms of it are swimming upside down like he can't control his boyancy... So let me know what u think oh and happy Christmas and merry new year

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom