URGENT - Clarifying water after substrate dump (mud/cloud)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, seconds ago I added Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate to my reverse osmosis new aquarium, and the water is now zero-visibility from crystal clear...

URGENT -- URGENT -- URGENT

I have pea puffers CURRENTLY in their bag from the store, and need a FAST solution(s) on how to either:
(a) Clear the water somehow so the dust particles settle, or...
(b) The reassurance that adding the new fish to the water won't harm them even though it's very cloudy

I was told by the aquarium store owner, and read on line in many places, including on Amazon and the manifacturer's website, this was one of the only substrates that exists that truly doesn't need rinsed (and as a matter of fact shouldn't be rinsed, since it's packaged in liquid to preserve beneficial bacteria).

WHAT CAN I DO?

NOTE: I already added a lot of bacteria cultures to the filter, bought a seasoned driftwood from the store that was in a tank for nearly 2 years, and purchased the best substrate possible, so although this isn't a fully "cycled" aquarium, please don't try to bring the hammer down on me, I did the best I could with the advice/research I had, and have never fully cycled any of my other aquariums over the years and have zero fish loss since I also heavily plant.

The part of the transition which could harm them is a huge difference in water parameters of the present tank to the brand new tank. So acclimation of the fish from the old tank, should be acclimated to the new water gradually over about an hour if not too different.

A pH difference of more than appx. 1 ex. 6.5 pH old tank, to new tank 7.5 pH should acclimate over a longer period as the difference is a big shock.

Everything worked out great! Just like the bag said the water settled, very quickly (less than an hour after making this post), and I only had to wash out the filter floss once during that time.

The pea puffers and Otos are happy and seem to be thriving, gobbling up the brine shrimp and algae wafers I've been feeding.

The cause of the "five alarm" panic was in the past I've tried using Seachem's Flourite, which was basically a bag of dusty, muddy, clay fragments -- and was so thick and sludgy it broke my new siphoning tool as I attempted to do water changes.

Thanks for the replies above! All is well that ends well, and they LOVE the bonsai tree and hornwort I've put into the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom