Urgent Help Needed!!! Sick Pleco!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hanihoney36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help me! I have a very, very sick common pleco. He is very dear to me. He lives alone in 36 gallon tank and is about 10 inches long and 7 years old. I use 2 filters and aeration. To make a long story short, about 2 months ago, my pleco developed white stuff and bug eyes and I took a pic of him to my LFS and they gave me Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I did 3 treatments (they told me do 1 treatment every 24 hours for 3 days w/ a 25% water change before each treatment), waited 10 days, did another 3 treatments (it hadn't went away-but he was acting better) and waited 10 days and now I did two more treatments and he got worse... I was then advised to put the carbon back in and do water changes to get the meds out as it was making him worse. This was about a month ago. I don't know he's any better or worse. Some days I think he's getting better and others he's extremely lethargic.

I am now doing a 30-40% water change/vacuum every 2-3 days (have been doing this for about a month now) because he seems to do a little better when I keep the water changed. I am using Amquel+ and Novaqua+. He isn't really eating -some days I think he does, but very little -the problem is I don't see poop! His belly looks like it always did. He stays at the bottom of the tank and moves every now and then. He rarely attaches himself to the sides of the tank or anything else for that matter and doesn't swim (this is his "normal" behavior). Some days he is in the same place for 24 hours straight! I just don't know what else to do to help him! He does swim away and attach himself to the back when I vacuum, but only then.

Even though I'm doing frequent water changes, I still am getting white cottony stuff floating in his tank sometimes. (Seems like when he doesn't eat-but I am vacuuming every 2-3 days!!!) He still has the white around his eyes and they still seem to bulge a bit. Could it be bacterial instead of fungal...or both? How can I get rid of this? Can I give any other meds to him? Melafix or something like that? I know Plecos can be sensitive. Should I raise the temp? Please help me! I'm so desperate! And thank you!

Again, he is by himself- no other fish or live aquatic plants in the tank w/ him. He is fed Hikari sinking algae tabs and every now and then he gets a nice slice of zucchini- but the last time I offered it he wouldn't eat it and that's when I knew he was sick and then the following day I noticed the eyes and white stuff.

36 gallon with 1 aquaclear 50g filter and one whisper 20 gallon filter and 2 oxygen air things and 2 heaters for even distribution. It has been established for 3 years.

Temp: 78 degrees

These were done with a lab kit:
pH: 6.6
ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0

These are as close as I can come with one of the quick dip sticks:
The hardness seems to be quite soft (less than 25 maybe?)
alkalinity is very low (like 0-40) (how do I adjust this?)

He has no tankmates- he lives alone and the only additions were a couple of plastic type plants purchased from a pet store (there were a Christmas present!) and they were put in around mid January.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
4404359610_34e759511c.jpg

4403594495_36da5231e0.jpg

I have always had good luck with Maracyn Two for pop eye, it also treats a wide variety of ailments. When you said white stuff I was thinking Ich but I have never seen it float to the top like you described. He is old which is most likely playing a factor. This is just my 2¢, I am sure someone else will help you better.

Can Maracyn Two be used on Plecos? I'm thinking it's a bacterial infection as well, but I don't know what to give him as I know Plecos are sensitive to meds. Any suggestions?

I have never kept plecos so I am not 100%, so I will leave this up to a better source. I do know itsa invert safe, they tend to be the most sensitive to meds.

I would say the eyes is probably a bacterial infection, which I would use anit-bacterial food to treat. And the white patches could be fungus, which I would use Melafix and Pimafix (have used both with my scaleless fish), or it could be columnaris.
The white stuff you are seeing might be from overfeeding, since he is not eating. If he doesn't eat anything, take it out, so you don't get the mold. :)

IMO, it looks like columnaris. I could be wrong, but if it is, dropping the temp slowly down to 70-72, doing a daily 50% water change followed by a dose of pimafix and melafix will really help take care of it... worked for me at least

Thanks so much...you've given me some great advice and I went and got the melafix and pimafix. How many degrees per day should I drop it so I don't shock my little guy? Thanks again! I pray my little fella gets better!

Okay...I've been dropping temp down just as advised and doing the melafix and pimafix for the past two days. I'll keep you posted...and I'll keep praying!

Back
Top Bottom