Urgent help with a new tank for a cold betta please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm wondering is anyone would be able to help me. We have a betta male, we got him from my son's school in a 5l fishbowl (no filter, no heater, one plant, 3 stones), so decided to upgrade him to a nicer and warmer home. As our house temp is around 18-20C at the moment, he seems to be a bit lethargic (yes, cold...) and doesn't move much, so I think we need to move him quickly.

I'm looking at a 40l tank .

My questions:

1. TANK - I'm deciding between these 2 tanks (they are probably much of a muchness), but maybe someone has experience with either of them?

Love Fish Panorama Tank 40 Litre from petsathome .com
or
Interpet Insight Aquarium 40 from seapets.co.uk

First one is acrylic, second glass, which is better?

2. HEATER, the first doesn't come with a heater, so would need to get one. (Or happy to replace the other if not adequate)
Any brand recommendations?
50W or 100W?
What to look out for?

3. FILTER - I understand betta don't like current. Do I need to do anything to the filter included in these kits or should they be ok?

4. WATER - Do I need to cycle the tank?? After reading various websites, I thought it was necessary, but then I read that I don't have to as he is not in a proper tank anyway. Obviously, that would be better, than waiting 6 more weeks for the new tank to be ready. Do I use any of the old water / move the stones? (sorry if my questions seem very basic, but I really don't know where to start, what's best & quickest way to sort him out!)

5. CLEANING - At the moment I clean & change water weekly, preserving about 30% of water (as I was told). With new / bigger tank, filter, heater etc, how & how often should I clean it?

6. PLANTS - which ones would you recommend? He is just permanently parked near the surface - doesn't even rest on the plant he has. It's a silk plant, but I would prefer to get real plants.

7. What to put at the bottom? Sand? Gravel? Do they like caves & arches? Ours doesn't come near the bottom.

8. FOOD - what's the best food (to get him healthier / happy again)?

I think that's all for now, any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you!!

Interpret insight aquarium. Is my personal choice. A 50 watt heater will he fine, make sure you have a thermometer so you don't get the water too warm. I prefer gravel over sand. My Betta loves caves and things as she is very playful and likes to play hide and seek. Lol. :) I think that's all you need to know? If not feel free to message me or reply to me! Lol. Good Luck!

You always need to cycle. The tank but if you don't have the time get some Stability New Tank Stabilization. It's about 10 dollars a bottle. The filter should be fine.

Weekly 25% water changes will be fine. You probably need to test your water to see the pH levels, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, hardness, and alkalinity.

Back
Top Bottom