Used 90 gal tank-leaky bulkheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoles_b

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a used 90 gal 'reef ready' tank, came with a 20 gal sump and a 20 gal frag tank as well... the plumbing to the sump that came with it was sketchy.. so I went and purchased new flex tubing for it today. Set it all up, not a single hitch. Everything was holding up well, I poured roughly two liters of water into the overflow to make sure the "new" plumbing held up well (mind you I've never plumbed ANYTHING.. but luckily it wasn't difficult ;) ), as well as the (used)bulkheads, ran the sump pump for about a minute and a half.. and no leaks. So I continued to fill the tank through the sump, and during the LAST 5 gallons, both bulk heads started leaking. I had already tightened them as best I could by hand, so I pulled out my channel locks and turned the nut an 1/8th of a turn... still leaks. turned the nut another 1/8th, still leaks. This goes for BOTH bulkheads. The overflow cavity was clean, no debris when I installed them, the BH and gaskets looked good. I went ahead and ordered new bulkheads, to be on the safe side. Any ideas or suggestions as to why they are leaking??? Also my gaskets ARE on the flange side, not the nut. They don't appear to be cracked or damaged.. but then again this is my very first time dealing with bulkheads and I very well may have no idea what I'm talking about :nono: Any tips/ideas/HELP is appreciated!!!! :thanks:

My little bros leaked a bit when we first installed his Fuge so we wrapped them in plumbers tape and put the bulk head back on, no problems in over 4 months now. Just an idea

Back
Top Bottom