Used Planted Tank - Foggy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just picked up a used, fully equipped 40 gallon tank. Had to re-add the fluorite and sand mixed substrate. Everything is filled up, set up and ready to go. I have fish in buckets waiting to go back to their former home. But the tank is REALLY murky and foggy. Has been like this for 5 hours now with filters running. (1 Canister - 1 Sponge Hang on). Water seemed pretty dirty, and has a slight reddish tint to it (from the iron in the fluorite I imagine.

Can I still add the fish back to this or will the foggy water effect them at all?

Should I just shut off the filters and let it sit for a day?

Thanks for any and all help guys. :thanks:

[URL=http://s22.photobucket.com/user/liquidsmoke420/media/image.jpg1_zps59h5r3h8.jpg.html][/URL]

Add some polyfiber to the hob & clarifier if you hadn't already...might also raise the water level to reduce the turbulence from the hob....

sit in silence

Do a 100% water change and add the water back in using a plate to keep from disturbing the substrate..

Imho the best course of action would be to remove the substrate and wash it thoroughly before readding it and then refilling it.

Thanks guys. Ended up doing multiple water changes and rinsing out all the substrate. Looks good now. Also got some polyfiber as well. Been meaning too sooner. :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would just replace the substrate entirely. You don't know how much fish poop could be locked away in there. Just IMO.

Caleb

Thanks guys. Ended up doing multiple water changes and rinsing out all the substrate. Looks good now. Also got some polyfiber as well. Been meaning too sooner. :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sweet! Looking forward to updates?

sit in silence

Back
Top Bottom