Using purigen while cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
I understand that purigen does a great job controlling ammonia, nitrites, and even nitrates. Knowing that, I have to this point NOT put it in my canisters while cycling the tank under the assumption that the purigen might keep my biological media from getting where they need to be -- that is, if there's less ammonia and nitrites to consume, less bacteria will grow. Is my thinking correct or would purigen actually help the cycle move forward?

I would say no I had it in then decided to research it a bit took it back out after 3 days finished my cycle then put it back in.

Ok. I think I'll keep mine out until it finishes.

I posted a similar question. Just found this post. I cycled with dr. Tim's. everything went perfect.....but got a bacteria bloom. After 7 days with no ammonia, nitrites, under 20 nitrates...I added purigen to a 20g filter (in addition to the 60g filter with sponge, carbon, and biobag) in my 55g tank. Bacteria bloom was gone in 24 hours. But, my nitrates are now under 5, and I can't use the black water extract my angelfish love. Im not even sure when to do a water change, cause my water is clear....and nitrates are next to nothing! is the purigen plus carbon working TOO well? The purigen has been in for 4 days. Tank running for a month. I'm afraid of a mini-cycle if I remove purigen and carbon. But my angels are pale and clamping in the harder water (theres also driftwood in the tank that no longer helps, because of the purigen). my tabk is not overstocked, but these fish have never felt more than .25 nitrites for under 24 hours thanks to the dr tim. a mini may kill them. is there anything that will soften the water safely if i leave the purigen in? Any thoughts?

I posted a similar question. Just found this post. I cycled with dr. Tim's. everything went perfect.....but got a bacteria bloom. After 7 days with no ammonia, nitrites, under 20 nitrates...I added purigen to a 20g filter (in addition to the 60g filter with sponge, carbon, and biobag) in my 55g tank. Bacteria bloom was gone in 24 hours. But, my nitrates are now under 5, and I can't use the black water extract my angelfish love. Im not even sure when to do a water change, cause my water is clear....and nitrates are next to nothing! is the purigen plus carbon working TOO well? The purigen has been in for 4 days. Tank running for a month. I'm afraid of a mini-cycle if I remove purigen and carbon. But my angels are pale and clamping in the harder water (theres also driftwood in the tank that no longer helps, because of the purigen). my tabk is not overstocked, but these fish have never felt more than .25 nitrites for under 24 hours thanks to the dr tim. a mini may kill them. is there anything that will soften the water safely if i leave the purigen in? Any thoughts?

If you want to soften your water using RO water cut with your tap water this will lower your Kh and Gh. I have used this method many times over the past 30 years if I want to have softer water.

I already do! I use 1/3 tap, 1/3 distilled, 1/3 RO drinking bottled water. Still....gh 10. Ph-8.0. Kh fluctuates from 6-9. I'm thinking of trying a pillow.

Never use a water softener pillow. Reason being is all they do is exchange calcium and magnesium ions, which plants need, for sodium ions, which is bad for plants and many fish!

Is there a reason your not using all RO water? Also have you tested your tap for it's readings on Kh, Gh, and Ph? Remember to do a tap water Ph you need to put tap water in a cup and aerate or stir it off and on over 24 hours. This allows the water to gas off. Then take your Ph reading, this will be your tap waters true Ph.

Also test your distilled water and your RO water. If the filters on units aren't changed as needed they do not remove everything from the water like they should. One person a while back was having tank issues and he used RO with tap. When he tested his tap, well lets say it had ammonia and several other things present in it!

Purigen doesn't directly remove ammonia and nitrites. It works by scavenging for organic compounds. So it works by removing waste before it can become ammo/nitrite/nitrate. It's better to wait until you're done cycling before adding it, otherwise you may slow the cycling process down.

Thx all. Sorry for not being clear...i get confused which post im on. my tank is cycled. I used dr Tim's one and only to cycle, but that was a month ago. I saw .25 nitrites about 3 days after adding it, but the water tested zero for ammonia and nitrites the next day (and every day since then....I test everything every other day). About 3 days after the nitrites, I got a bacteria bloom. I did nothing (except test the water). After 5 days of cloudy water, I put the purigen in...hoping it might help. The next day my water was clear (which may have happened either way). My nitrates were 10 every day after the nitrites, but dropped to 5 after adding the purigen. My main concern with purigen was whether it was actually absorbing the ammonia, and therefore leaving my good bacteria nothing to eat, and making my cycle completely dependent on it. Thank you for clarifying that it doesn't.
My concern with the water softness is because 90% of my fish prefer low gh, and my tap water is very high. The RO mix and driftwood were helping, but now the purigen is absorbing the tannins. I don't use strictly RO water for a few reasons: 1. I can't afford it an RO machine 2. I can afford to buy bottled water as needed, but I worry about the purity of even bottled water. I did my own tests....spring water is no good (very high in minerals and such), the "drinking water" which states that it goes through RO and ozonation is what I use for 1/3 of each gallon. But, most drinking water has additives. I actually called the companies, and use water from the one who claims they use no additives or other processes to purify. I use the distilled for 1/3, because my tests show it has nothing in it. 3. My angelfish and rams are my priorities, but I do have 2 denisons barbs who are pretty cool, and need minerals. So I want the cut of tap water for them.
My original goal was to get the water soft enough to keep discus, but now I'd settle for just getting it soft enough for the eggs my rams are laying to survive. I admit I was looking for an easy way, without using chemicals.
I do test kh/gh/ph/ammonia/nitrites/nitrates at least every other day. I am wondering about a water change schedule. If my nitrates stay 5, and purigen does its thing, how often do I change the water? I change my other tanks weekly. But how much/how often should I change on a tank that has good readings? I really appreciate having a place to ask questions!

Back
Top Bottom