using raw shrimp to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summitxho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon, with 10 lbs of live rock I just added yesterday (the tank was cycling for 1 week previously to adding live rock), it was already cured, and only had it out of the water for about an hour wrapped in wet newspaper so there shouldnt be much die off. Should I still add the raw shrimp to jump the cycle? Or will it cycle just as fast with just the live rock since its such a small tank, I tested the water last night and I did see about .25 ammonia, and my PH is sitting about 8.0 (good?) Also I just wanted to be sure you could use plastic fake plants in a marine aquarium? I assume you would be able to, but assumptions are expensive in this hobby Thanks in advance

Oh also how much light do you need to keep coraline alive? there is so much of it on this rock, but I only have a standard 13W light that came with my kit (Hagen 10 Gallon startup kit) which is pretty piddly. There is some hair algae on one of my live rocks so what kind of lighting schedule would you suggest to kill it but keep the coraline alive (if even possible with this small light)

I would do the shrimp just to insure a nice strong cyle takes place. As for fake plants, you need to make sure that if they are not specifically made for aquariums, that you do not have any metal parts, such as stiffening wire used in silk plants, that can become exposed.

thanks, Ill pick one up tonight, much appreciate the speedy response, what about the light, is 1.3w/gallon gonna be enough to keep the coraline alive? what kind of light would I need to keep very basic soft corals? What kind of lighting schedule should I put it on while it cycles? keeping in mind there is trace amounts of hair algae that I would like to kill off.

Another thing to keep in mind is that plastic plants will become covered in coralline etc over time unless they are regularly cleaned. I would try for around 40w of light if you want to eventually keep some select corals. 50-60w would increase the different types you could keep.
What kind of lighting schedule should I put it on while it cycles
Lighting is not needed for the cycle. You only need to be concerned with the coralline you have. Since you currently have weak lighting I would leave it on as much as possible.
keeping in mind there is trace amounts of hair algae that I would like to kill off.
Diatom bloom is normal and will "burn" itself out over time. Do not be concerned with it right now.

Back
Top Bottom