Uv light and ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaarlie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I read online that an actual UV Light gets rid of ich can anyone tell me if that's true or not please.

It will only kill the free-swimming larva, not the parsite that is on the fish, which is only a portion of the entire life-cycle and then it needs to be very strong. A good portion of the larva won't even be pulled into the UV sterilizer.

Best treatment for Ich is QT with hyposalinity and a fishless cycle (2-4 weeks) of the DT. The Ich will not survive without any hosts in the DT,

Hope this helps.

Hmmmm so a qt tank and letting my main tank cycle on its own?

Is this a fw or sw tank? Ich in sw is a different parasite than fw ich. If you have a fw tank with ich, the tank and fish need to be treated. Easier to treat them together at the same time in the same tank.

It is a freshwater tank and I have been treating them for a week so far with ich medication that I got at my LFS but it was just an online article that I had read

Sorry, disregard my post. Just realized this was posted in the freshwater section.
What I told you was accurate for saltwater.

a uv will kill whatever ich pass through it which is why all the water has to flow through it to be effective. so it would need to be hook up to your main pump. For your fresh water ich just turn the heat in your tank up to between 86 and 88 for about 2 weeks that should kill it off. There are different opinions on weather tanks need a uv or not, my opinion is if you can afford one get one it can only help it can't hurt.

Alright then guys thanks allot that's some good advice:D

Back
Top Bottom