Velvet cure time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollowman8904

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! First time posting on this site. I noticed about a week and a half ago that my fish had a pretty nasty velvet infection. This was my first time seeing them sick, so I was a little late catching it. My red tail shark seemed to have it the worst (he was practically completely golden when I shone a flashlight on him), and I began immediately treating the tank for it. I rose the water to about 85F, added some salt and medication recommended by my local pet shop. I also covered the tank with a blanket to minimize light exposure. Its been about 8 days since treatment started at this point, and they all seem to be doing better.

For the first couple of days, everyone just hid in a corner and did not move, and my neon tetras lost almost all of their color. All of the fish seem to be doing better now (they are all starting to swim about the tank again), though I'm not sure that it's completely gone. I've been using my rainbow shark as the 'base case' as it most easily shows up on him, and it seems to be almost gone. There still seems to be some gold on his underside, but I'm not sure if that's the velvet or just the way he is.

I tried to get a video of him, but the low light w/ a flashlight made it very hard for the camera to focus.

Anyway, what I am trying to get at here is if I'm almost in the clear on this. If I was unclear/didn't provide enough information on anything, please ask!

Back
Top Bottom