Wal-mart Aqua Culture 15W 120V Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. There is a great alternative that will fit your hood though. It is the compact fluorescent bulb that is the same exact size. Incandescent bulbs have high wattage, but they also have low output, terrible spectrum and heat up the water. Plus they use more electricity. They will not grow any plants except algae and some of the bulbs also sold at Walmart. The compact fluorescent bulbs are $5 ea., so about triple the price of a pair of the 15w incandescents, but they are only 10 watts, giving you a total of 20 watts (2 WPG) which is ideal for low and mid lighting plants. I just bought the compact fluorescent type today. They sell them at Walmart in the fish section right next to the ones you mentioned. The one I bought has a beautiful purple glow, and is well worth the price. Hope this helped.

Thank you so much! I'll pick those up tomorrow. :)

The tank was a freebie so I can't complain. I wasn't expecting to see those weird bulbs in the hood....lol. :)

Yeah I use those bulbs (the 15w ones) in my African Clawed Frog tank. I like the yellow glow they provide and I use fake plants in there so I'm not worried about spectrum. They also heat his water up alittle bit because I don't give him a heater. He is a cold water frog, but in the winter some extra heat helps! I am sitting next to the new bulbs right now and I love the glow I will link you to the post once I put my pics of it up.
Glad I could help :)

It is very bright, but that's really what plants need. This fish's color can benefit or can be counter acted by them. Be sure to feed them color enhancing flakes :)!

2 watts per gallon will be the most I've had so far....I'm pretty stoked. :D

Thank you for your help! I'll be off to buy bulbs and flakes tomorrow. :)

That's awesome I'm glad you're excited. I love this hobby!

Back
Top Bottom