Walmart Plant Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathenrauch

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering how you plant them, as i threw away the package on accident. haha and does anyone have any experience with these working?

Best way is to put them in a paper towel soaked in tank water. then in a ziplock(left open) till they start to root. Then put them in your tank.

The package says to throw them right inthe tank does the paper towel in a bag work a lot better I have 5 "Hardy Aponogen" bulbs any advice?

I've used these in the past a few times, but only once did they actually sprout and grow.

The first time I used them, I planted them in the substrate (didn't pay attention to the directions!). Out of 4 or 5 bulbs, 3 of them grew quite quickly and looked great in my 10G.

The second and third time I did an experiment with planting some and letting the others float. These were all in the same 10G. They did nothing but rot.

When they work they're great, but I've found that mostly they don't. I know the packaging says they can be mailed in if they don't grow to be replaced, but I never did this as they're so cheap.

I purchase the Aqua Plant Bulbs that come in a variety at Petco which includes: Aponogeton "Aponogeton Ulvaceus" (Betta Bulbs), Onion "Crinum Taianum," and Waterlily "Nymphaea Sp.".

I use Fluval Stratum which is natural dirt in pebble form that helps aquatic plants flourish along with a proper amount of lighting. I have standard LED lights in my tanks. Two of my tanks are bright and one is a low light, yet it still grows any bulb I anchor in the stratum. I emerge the bulbs halfway so they can find the light and still get the nutrients in the stratum.

I have a carbon base filter which helps plants grow, but they need food like any other plant or animal does. I use the brand API Root Tabs, API Leaf Zone (Aquarium Plant Food), and API CO2 Booster. Within a week or 2 my bulbs are sprouting and it's fun to watch! My bulbs grow an inch per day and already start to propagate within weeks!

Back
Top Bottom