Want plants where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 28g aquarium with a shallow caribsea supernaturals sand bed, 17w flourescent lighting on during day but i have a piece of black cloth under the light to dim it because ive noticed my cories and betta dislike all that light.. I keep it at around 25c or 77-79f. I want to add live plants because my silk plants keep drooping over and I can't find any natural looking ones.**I plan to use tetra florapirde fertilizer. But considering the depth of my sand bed, and lack of lighting, ive been told I'm limited as to my options, and that florapride wasn't the highest quality, but since I'm not going to be keeping high requirement plants, it would be suitable. I saw some Marimo balls (plants!) I'd like to have, and our lfs makes these cocoanut things it like a cocunut cut into a cave shape with moss stuff growing on it. And moss on top floating at the surface to dim the lighting. But I can't think of any rooted plants that would live well with my substrate and lighting. And I don't want to use a co2 thing. Nor do I want to but root tabs, although I will the tabs if absolutely necessary, but please no co2 contraptions! Thanks I'm going tomorrow so the quicker the better!

thats really not much light they should be fine. if you are then blocking more of the light out you are going to be hard pressed to get anything to grow. you wont need to add any ferts to the water for the most part. the marimo ball (algae) is good in low light. some other plants are anubias java ferns moss and crypts .... crypts are the only one that needs substrate the others can be put on rock or wood.

just be careful since many stores sell non aquatic plants.

Ok so all the plants but crypts will grow on my driftwood and stones? If so will flora pride do fine? How often and how do I fertilize them, just drop the recommended amount in or special dosage and apple it to the roots or something? Thanks and how should I quarantine them out store has snails and I really don't want any, except for apples and mystery snails.
thats really not much light they should be fine. if you are then blocking more of the light out you are going to be hard pressed to get anything to grow. you wont need to add any ferts to the water for the most part. the marimo ball (algae) is good in low light. some other plants are anubias java ferns moss and crypts .... crypts are the only one that needs substrate the others can be put on rock or wood.

just be careful since many stores sell non aquatic plants.

You can kill snail eggs by soaking them in a solution of either Potassium Permanganate or Alum (spice isle). Google these and you will find plenty of instructions.

Snails aren't all that bad, I have about 100 in my 10g tank and I haven't cleaned the glass in a year and the plants stay algae free. I transferred some algae covered plants into the tank and within 2 days they were clear. So it's really only if you don't like them or don't want them to clog your filter (if they're small enough to make it to the impeller, they'll shred).

I personally use Seachem Flourish (Comprehensive). It's not that I'm not a Flora Pride fan, just a very big Seachem fan. You don't need to apply to roots unless it is a specific plant, which you probably wouldn't find at a store anyways. Generally most aquatic plants absorb through all parts, leaves, roots, everything.

You may want to consider other ferts, like Iron and Potassium (gets depleted quickly). Also Seachem Excel is a carbon supplement (in lieu of CO2) and is great for plants and also for combating algae, and as long as you don't keep any Valisneria, you'd be OK. If you want bang for the buck, go with dry fertilizers - but do a lot of research first, it's easy to OD.

Also do you use Carbon in your filter? If you do, remove it and go get a 100mL bag of Seachem Purigen (about $12-$15). This resin removes dissolved organic matter but doesn't remove the trace minerals (at least not nearly as much). Carbon will pretty much suck up any plant supplement you put in there. Purigen will not, and it is rechargeable. I have had 500mL of it in my canister for my 55 gallon and I've recharged it twice in a year and a half, and they're supposedly good for 6 or 7 recharges. My plants do awesome.

Hope this helps.

"Snails aren't all that bad, I have about 100 in my 10g tank and I haven't cleaned the glass in a year and the plants stay algae free. I transferred some algae covered plants into the tank and within 2 days they were clear. So it's really only if you don't like them or don't want them to clog your filter (if they're small enough to make it to the impeller, they'll shred)."

+1

My MTS made quick work of algae, so do red cherry shrimp. Although with a betta, RCS wouldn't be a good idea.

Ok thanks, I use penguin cartridges with carbon already on them. I already have mystery and apple snails I don't want any asexual snail (snails that reproduce quickly on their own). Our Petco only carries florapride can I just use that they say that's what they use and their plants look good. Thanks

I'll start buying those instead, those are 5.99 for a pack of 4, 1 penguin cartridge is 5.99!
Penguin cartridges have very little carbon in them and will be used up rather quickly . You can also purchase Bio-3 clam shell cartridges for Penguins that come with sponges and a separate carbon insert that you can through away and use a media bag with the media of your choice . Here's what they look like Aquarium Filter Media: Foster & Smith Aquatics Bio3 Penguin Filter Cartridges .

Penguins arent bad, mine great, I just don't want carbon. I plan to buy an emporer 280 to either replace or go along with my penguin since it's only a 150.
Yeah , those Penguin and their Wal-Mart equivalent Aqua-Tech brand are over priced .

Penguins arent bad, mine great, I just don't want carbon. I plan to buy an emporer 280 to either replace or go along with my penguin since it's only a 150.

I didn't mean the filter itself but the cartridges . You can buy the Aqua-Tech cartridges at Wal-mart much cheaper than the Marineland brand . They are both from the same company .

When I still used Penguin and their cartridges , I just cut a small slit in the very top of the polyfiber and shook out the carbon out . It took some doing but it got it out . I never did replaced them until I bought those bio-3 replacements

Thanks so I plan to buy two empty bio3 cases, and fill them with some kind of mechanical media and maybe a polishing pad or something, I don't know what I should do with my old penguin though once I get a emporer.
I didn't mean the filter itself but the cartridges . You can buy the Aqua-Tech cartridges at Wal-mart much cheaper than the Marineland brand . They are both from the same company .

When I still used Penguin and their cartridges , I just cut a small slit in the very top of the polyfiber and shook out the carbon out . It took some doing but it got it out . I never did replaced them until I bought those bio-3 replacements

You may want to consider other ferts, like Iron and Potassium (gets depleted quickly). Also Seachem Excel is a carbon supplement (in lieu of CO2) and is great for plants and also for combating algae, and as long as you don't keep any Valisneria, you'd be OK. If you want bang for the buck, go with dry fertilizers - but do a lot of research first, it's easy to OD.

What's wrong with vals and seachem excel? Will they grow too much?

It will kill Vals but I'm not sure about anything else. It didn't affect my Vals but they're the Nana variety (no twist) and they can handle it at lower doses.

What's wrong with vals and seachem excel? Will they grow too much?

Ya many vals will "melt" if you dose the tank with Excel. Some varieties of mosses will do the same, especially if you do full dosing. Small amounts only occasionally dosed are okay, but full dosing according to the instructions on the bottle will cause problems for some species.

Thanks, I did some research and it appears some people have used excel at half doses with vals. But why risk it? I'll stick to fluorish

Back
Top Bottom