Want to add a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got-to-love-Chiclids

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to add a sump to my 20g has a flower horn and 2 tire tracks in it. Would like to turn a 10 g into a sump for it any ideas?

Yes its you can do it. First decision is drill or overflow?

I'm uncertain about your stocking.

Well I want my sump to be below my tank what are the pros and cons? I have a baby flower horn and 2 tire track eels

I say yes to the sump. As Terance mentioned you have two choices in getting the water from main to sump tank. Either drilled or an overflow box.

If you don't mind the look of PVC there's plenty of videos on YouTube. I'm still in the planning stages of my sump. I want a target of 1200gph.

Well I want my sump to be below my tank what are the pros and cons? I have a baby flower horn and 2 tire track eels

Pro - dilution of pollution with more water volume and hide heater & other equipment hanging on the rim of your tank; you can get a bigger sump and add a refugium area.

Con - noisy and leak if you don't set up correctly; more hours of researching and planning to set up properly.

Terrance said:
Pro - dilution of pollution with more water volume and hide heater & other equipment hanging on the rim of your tank; you can get a bigger sump and add a refugium area.

Con - noisy and leak if you don't set up correctly; more hours of researching and planning to set up properly.

About when do these hours end. I'm probably 80+ in on reading about sumps, overflows, PVC drain rates, etc. I still don't know what I want. I'm leaning towards a custom acrylic sump.

Malawi Freak said:
About when do these hours end. I'm probably 80+ in on reading about sumps, overflows, PVC drain rates, etc. I still don't know what I want. I'm leaning towards a custom acrylic sump.

I just used a old 30gal...sectioned it into 3. I also read many many hours but so glad I did the sump.

Hmmm looks like I have a lot of reading to do hmmm and what is the whole purpose of the sump?

got-to-love-Chiclids said:
Hmmm looks like I have a lot of reading to do hmmm and what is the whole purpose of the sump?

The sump filters your tank water . Plenty of places for bb to grow, and keeps main tank uncluttered.

Back
Top Bottom