Want to add more fish what should i add

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loach23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I currently have a 55 gal tank that I upgraded from a 29gal. I have 2 clown loaches, 3 zebra loaches, 2 striped Cory, 1 spotted Cory, 3 angelfish, 4 platties, 1 bamboo shrimp. I want to add a few more but not you average neons and dinnos any suggestions. Would like to be a little different and exotic thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

The clown loaches will outgrow that 55 eventually.

You can look online or at some good LFSs for more rare fish. I like my Danio darios and rainbows. You seem to like bottom feeders so maybe a small species of spiney eel. It is really a matter of personal choice though.

Well the clowns are less then 2" right now and the zebras don't get bigger then 4-5". You think that 2 full grown clown will be to big for a 55

Yes they will, Around 12 inches fully grown, needing 100+ gallon tanks to hold a school of them.

I would recommend getting some more cories to complete their schools (Just because they are all cories doesnt mean they will school.)

I have 2 Clown Loaches in my 55 gallon, (well, technically one is in there, the other one is still in my QT). The CL's do have the potential to get pretty big. According to a few people on here, they take forever to grow. Their growth is slow up until they're 4" long or so, then their growth slows down even more.

I honestly think that there's nothing wrong w/ having a maximum of 2 CL's in a 55 gallon, (obviously, or else I wouldn't have decided to add them to my tank lol). But people tend to overreact when they look at the "potential" adult size of CL's and not consider that they grow at a slow pace.

As far as a suggestion for additional fish, I don't know what would be compatible w/ the fish you currently have in your tank. Dwarf Gourami are nice looking fish and add a splash of bright colors to your tank. But like I said, I don't know if it would be compatible. You could always check on that. I have a link to Petco's compatibility chart in my signature.

I honestly think that there's nothing wrong w/ having a maximum of 2 CL's in a 55 gallon, (obviously, or else I wouldn't have decided to add them to my tank lol). But people tend to overreact when they look at the "potential" adult size of CL's and not consider that they grow at a slow pace.

Clown loaches can grow up to 7-8 inches within a year, no fish really grows 'slowly'. If so, that is most likely from stunting their growth.

Clown loaches can grow up to 7-8 inches within a year, no fish really grows 'slowly'. If so, that is most likely from stunting their growth.

Do you have any Clown Loaches? Just wondering if that was what you were basing your growth estimates on or if it was from something you read online.

The one I have in my display tank has been in there for 9 mo's. He was approx. 1" long when I got him and is only around 2.5" now.

Do you have any Clown Loaches? Just wondering if that was what you were basing your growth estimates on or if it was from something you read online.

The one I have in my display tank has been in there for 9 mo's. He was approx. 1" long when I got him and is only around 2.5" now.

Nope. Had an old friend that did though (she was around 60), hers were in a 180 and grew 7 inches within a year.

I didn't say when they would outgrow that tank, just that they will (or should unless stunted). The clown loaches are fine for now, but you do need to realize that at some point you will have to either give them a bigger tank or give them to someone who can.

When properly cared for fish grow much faster than average.

Get at least six cories in there, I didn't catch that before. I wouldn't worry about six of each species. Although it is true that hey may not school together, it is also true that cories of the same species may not school together. Six total will allow them to school if they want to.

Some fish do grow slowly, expecially after a certain point. Many fish, and other animals, have very fast growth rates when young in order to get large enough so that not everything can eat them. After that point their growth can slow drastically. They are cold-blooded though so they never actually stop growing.

Nope. Had an old friend that did though (she was around 60), hers were in a 180 and grew 7 inches within a year.

That would make sense seeing as how your friend had a larger tank. Not to mention, it sounds like she had more than 1 CL in that tank. With CL's, (as with most, if not all fish), their growth is stimulated by their environment. The CL's also thrive in groups of 4 or more. Which is why mine is small and hasn't grown much. I'm hoping to rectify his slow growth by introducing another CL to the tank.

All I was trying to express to the OP is that 2 CL's in a 55 gallon will grow slow but there is nothing wrong w/ having them in there. Housing only 2 of them in a 55 gallon will stunt their growth, but not to the point where it is inhumane for them to be kept in a 55 gallon.

Should they be housed in a tank smaller than 55 gallons? Absolutely NOT! Their growth rate would stall to the point where they would be more susceptible to clown loach diseases and they would more than likely die before reaching maturity.

I am in no way trying to argue my point, (this is merely my opinion based on extensive research). Everyone has a right to their opinion, especially when it comes to the welfare of fish. However, I've noticed that more ppl w/o actual experience or doing research are voicing their opinions only by hearsay.

Thanks guys hopefully they don't outgrow anytime soon. However they school a lot with the zebra loaches. Which are becoming my favorite. Im definitely gonna add 2 more

Attachments

• image-31889108.jpg
    image-31889108.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 86
Growth isn't stimulated by the environment. Poor water quality will stunt fish. Tank size alone will not stunt fish but it can contribute to low water quality. Low quality food will also stunt fish (they can only work with what they are given).

Fish don't grow slowly because they don't have a school.

Growth isn't stimulated by the environment. Poor water quality will stunt fish. Tank size alone will not stunt fish but it can contribute to low water quality. Low quality food will also stunt fish (they can only work with what they are given).

Fish don't grow slowly because they don't have a school.

Isn't water quality part of their environment?

Oh and...

Clown Loach

A clown loach seldom swims alone and when they are alone in an aquarium their growth is stunted, they are more susceptible to clown loach diseases and they die young. If you put a clown loach together with at least 4 other clown loaches they begin to thrive.

From the information above, if you don't have adequate room, (a large tank), to house more than 2 CL's then they won't thrive. Thus, their growth is stunted.

IMO there's no need to discuss further. Just thought I would back up my statement.

Edit: Also, why is it that everyone that contradicts me on here refuses to post their tank info via their "My Tanks" link? lol Just an observation. ;)

But 'environment stimulates them to grow' is very different from water quality stunting growth. They are schooling fish, so I guess not being in schools can stress them enough to not allow them to thrive nd therefore not grow. It is not that being in a school stimulates growth.

They need a big tank, bigger than a 55 long term.

I guess eventually I going to go bigger I mean I did originally start with a 29gal then 4-5 months later I was given a 55g. So I am going bigger already so who knows.

My head hurts. lol

Loach23: Sorry your thread went a different direction. I was merely trying to help by giving you support along with advice based on my experience. Congrats on your upgrade to a larger tank and I wish you the best of luck w/ your fish! :D

Edit: Also, why is it that everyone that contradicts me on here refuses to post their tank info via their "My Tanks" link? lol Just an observation. ;)

I don't really feel like having it up anymore due to the fact that once I get new fish, I need to update it (laziness). lol

As long as I know what is in my aquarium (fish wise) and the fact that they are striving, Its not a need to post what I have. If anyone is interested in what tanks I have and what are in them, I will be happy to share.

Ok so I just convinced my buddy to give me his 120 gallon that he had in his attic that was collecting dust. If I use all the water and decor and filters how long will it take for my tank to recycle. And by the way I add more fish. I went with 4 Bolivian rams. Very cool looking fish

Coooool, I wish i had a 120, but im not gonna complain with my 75. I have had lots of experience with loaches expecially clowns and i think they would have been fine in a 55 at least for a good amount of time. But 120 is awesome. And Bolivian Rams are very cool fish and have great personality. Good luck with the tank. :D

Back
Top Bottom