Want to start breeding Guppies any tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mkstar10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi so I have an extra 10 gallon tank laying around and I have been wanting to breed guppies for awhile so I thought this would be a good time. Any tips? Anything I might need to have other than tank, filter, heater, food and plants? I am planning on starting with 2 females and one male and see how it goes. Would a ten gallon be enough?
I’m not breeding for profit.

That is a loaded question/ topic.

Ideally you should know what you will do with all the babies. It might take you some time to understand and get the hang of keeping them. but it is not unlikely you will be over run in 2 months time.

I would say a 40-55 gallon tank would be good for all the babies. But as the babies grow you will really need more than one tank. This is because of the sizes as they grow they can eat newborns after they are separated.

Also if you have a female which has been at a fish store with different varieties of Guppies male and females in the same tank, they can take and store sperm from males for up to and even longer than 6 months. As in the female would likely be able to have babies for months without a male in the tank. All depending on the fish and conditions as my understanding

A 10G really isn't enough room. In 6 months with a trio, you could have the 2 Guppies and their babies birth, say 300-500 babies. Though it would not likely be they all live. Certainly not in a 10G. :)

You also would likely need to cull any deformed babies.

Not meaning to discourage you. Just be aware. If you have male and female Guppies, you'll have pregnant Guppies giving birth, whether you planned on it or not.

Hikari First Bites are a easy to come by tiny baby food.

Back
Top Bottom