Want to start using a Canister Filter, but don't know much about them.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As the title says I want to start using a Canister Filter, but I don't know much about them. I currently have a 55 gallon tank and use a Aqueon 55 Carbon Filter. I've heard good and bad things about carbon filters but as I want to get more involved with fish keeping and possibly breeding platies in the far future I want the best for my fish.

What are the pros and cons of a canister filter?
Are they hard to use and figure out?
Are they expensive to run, like for the filter pads and other stuff you put in them?
What brand do you suggest?

For a little background information on my tank, like I said it's 55 gallon, I currently have 5 Zebra Danios, 4 Neon Tetras, and about 10 Platys with 2 babies if they haven't gotten eaten, I did see one swimming around earlier though.

They currently have ich also :( got it from some fish my son won at a festival and I used the same net in both tanks, I think that's how it got transferred to my good tank which I've never had a problem with before.

Any information you could give me about canister filters would be awesome. Thanks!

I would do a Fluval 405. They are cheap to run. You can rinse the foam mechanical pads, rinse the biomedia (I suggest Seachem Matrix), and chaneg the carbon (if you use, I suggest Seachem Matrix Carbon). The Fluvals come with an instructional DVD so it is as idiot-proof as it gets. They are superior filtration, especially mechanical. The only downside is the cost (good prices online).

+1 for the fluvals.

They take a bit of effort to get set up originally, but once it's set up they're easy to clean (you can seal the hoses away from the canister and disconnect it without having to move anything but the canister)

Biggest thing to remember about canisters is that they can be chewed up pretty quickly from air, but fluvals have this nifty plunger on the top that let's you essentially run the canister manually to get the canister filled back up.

When you buy the canister, keep an eye out for deals on filter media because you may want to configure yours differently. Most canisters come with biomedia and carbon, but you really shouldn't run carbon in a canister because it doesn't last long and you have to change it often. Instead, run all biomedia in the canister and then if you need to run carbon, put it in the HOB.

I have two fluvals (305 and 405)... I love them. I also have an eheim... I hate it. Go for the fluval or rena xp. Check craigslist in your area for good deals on them. I got both my 305 and 405 from craigslist for $25 and they were both like new. I've had them for over a year now and have yet to need to replace any of the media. I run sponges and ceramic rings. The only thing I do not like about the fluvals is the impeller cover. I had to replace one on each filter. It's a cheap part (i paid $2.95 plus shipping, went ahead and got 6 just to save on shipping and be stocked up).

The size of the canister is really only an issue if your aquarium stand has a ton of shelves in it or something.

Also, for any aquarium under 30 US Gal, a well-cycled HOB can maintain decent water parameters - putting a canister on a tank that small is really a matter of either:

A. Wanting to maintain a bit of an "overstock".
B. Wanting to reduce maintenance (specifically HOBs that use cartridges tend to need clog and need replacing far more often than a canister, which can cause cycles).

Also, at least for the Fluval series canisters, their pumps are only rated for a "4 foot return". which means that the elevation of the canister cannot be more than 4 feet below the elevation of the top of the aquarium, because the pump wont be able to effectively return the water and it'll chew up the motor.

I have never had that issue. I have used and seen Fluvals on tanks higher than that and it is not an issue. Like any filter you will lose flow with higher head heights.

I have 4 fluvals. +1 to everything, except the head height. they run on siphon, so the only head height is the difference between the intake and the outlet. generally at most 24" but you might have a 4' high tank I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom