Wanted: Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gg99free

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 28g Hex that I'd like to add Live Plants to. The tank has a coarse gravel bottom with a UGF filter plate and a power head for water movement. I have a 14w NO light. Also have a fluval 203 for media and such. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of plants would do best here with this low light and coarse gravel? The tank has gone through it's conditioning cycle and I am now ready for the next stage. As far as fish go, I currently only have 3 White clouds and plan to add 2 Oto's soon and 3 more White Clouds a few weeks after that. When would I add the plants? Any time? As you can see, I'm a beginner and don't know where to really start at this point. How would anyone of you guys go about this?

Hey George,
Unless your going to do floating plants exclusively, the UGF has to go. They do not mix with rooting plants. That said, for plants you will be restricted to low light plants, you can probably do some java fern, java moss, Cryptocoryne, and maybe some annubis. I highly recommend you get The Aquarium Plants Manual by TFH (or maybe Tetra Press) and Aquarium Fish by Barrons. Another good resource is Aquarium Fish Magazine Karen Randell used to do a planted aquarium column in it every month.

HTH

If your looking for a source of upgraded lighting and not break the budget I suggest looking at AHSUPPLY.COM They sell PC (Power Compact) florecent ballsts kits and bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom