wanting to build a huge tank aprox 3100 gal need info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious, but what's your budget for this project? The glass or acrylic alone will cost a small fortune.

Forgot about that movie, used to love it! Still laugh at the keyboard as being 'quaint'!

"Hello, computer?"

hands him mouse,

<speaking into mouse> "Ahh. Computer?"

If you were going to build a tank that big out of concrete, why put it into the garage? Build it outside with the glass facing a window.

well putting it outside would be perfect....only if it was on wheels bc i live in nw ohio and i belive the wether gets a lil 2 cold for that small about of water i would end up with a museum desplay lol. as for the budget no fish or pumps or filters im shooting around 7-8 thousand but no way to tell untill i price the glass and cant price the glass untill i know how thick

Just remember that acrylic can be buffed out relatively easy so I'd go with an acrylic window. I would give one of the fiberglass manufacturers a call (I linked them earlier) and see what they recommend for a thickness. I'd also give SeaClear and Tenecor a call just for the heck of it.

I'd cross-post this on monsterfishkeepers.com. There are at least dozens of people on there who have done something similarly ambitious. One guy recently moved a five foot Arapaima gigas to a newly constructed tank, so you really don't need to be working this out from scratch. There's plenty of experience out there, it's just not on the guppy forum.

if it was my tank its be saltwater and id have snook, trout ,redfish and other native fish in florida

lol, winter. sorry, I forgot.

It would be someone from Florida who'd forget about us up in the great lakes area!:hat:

Sounds like an awesome idea though, good luck!

<manager exasperated> "Just use the keyboard!"

Hello Strokinbyeu,
A while back when I was researching different DIY projects I came across a great link regarding a guy who had built a big tank like the one you are hoping to complete. So I went looking for the link and found it for you.

Building a 1700 gallon Shark Tank

This guys tank isn't exactly as big as the one you plan on building but should definately provide you with helpful information into what you can expect.

i would really go about looking into the strength test or something. innovator is right on about the subject. i surely wouldnt suggest using any random guess someone made up here that never done anything like this their self.

if 24 - 30 inches tall = 3/4 inch thick the couple guesses i would think are way off.

after a quick search i found this site.
http://www.regalplastics.net/aquarium.htm

put in the numbers i think are right and it said 3 inch. again i would do what innovator said and call and ask people who have done this before.

good luck.

Couple of thoughts;-

pressure increases with depth - the calculation you choose will be based on the load at the bottom of the window - If you're willing to have a 1' deep concrete wall at the base plus a 4 x 12 window, there will be much less stress than a 5x12.

Similarly if you can manage 2 or three panes they can be thinner than a single huge picture window, and the price decreases exponentially.

A

Back
Top Bottom