Wanting to upgrade to larger tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claudia21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 5 gallon cycled aquarium with 2 glofish. They are happy and healthy and haven't been sick once. I am fascinated with glofish and wish to upgrade to a 30 to 60 gallon aquarium. I've had this tank for 3 months and has been cycled. However I'm worried that if i upgrade my fish will get stressed or sick. So my question is, what is the best way to move everything into the new tank? I assume I use the same water and filter for a 30 gall tank? Advise appreciated.

Claudia, set up the new tank, gravel, water and filter. Once you get it up and running for a few days, put your filter media from your old filter into the filter box of the new larger filter. It's okay to add the aged water from your old tank at that point and add your Glofish. Feed very sparingly for a few weeks and gradually add new fish. It would be smart to go at this like a fish in tank cycle process. No worries.

Sorry for asking but which is the filter media? Is it the carbon inside or the sponge that holds the carbon? Haven't done this for a long time so not sure which is the media.

No need for apologies. The sponge is where the beneficial bacteria lives. When you buy a new filter look at the Aqua Clear 50 or 70 models.

I have a 75 gallon tank it did take a couple more the to cycle, so if you do go bigger don't rush it.

Back
Top Bottom