Was it dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is terrible and i am racked with guilt, as I should be. I have a 40 gallon aquarium with 2 corydoras, 1 skirted tetra, lots of plants, and until yesterday 1 large angel fish. 2 weeks ago I foolishly introduced 2 skirted tetras and both were dead within 48 hours. 4 days ago i noticed ich on the remaining tetra, so began treating with melafix in the food and changing a couple gallons of water each day. All seemed ok. Night before last,at bedtime, i noticed the angelfish, who was at least 8, swimming with its mouth almost straight up. I changed a gallon of water and went to bed. In the morning the angel fish was mouth down against the air stone. It normally moves its eyes around at least. I saw zero movement. I netted it. Nothing. I looked for eye movement, gill movement... nothing at all for several minutes. Mouth stayed shut. I decided it was dead and buried it. Now i cant stop thinking i killed it when i removed it from the tank. I can't undo my actions but for future reference, could that poor thing still have been alive but had absolutely no movement?

Sorry for your loss.

Nobody can really say for sure, but if it wasnt moving or resposive in any way for as long as you say it was probably dead. If it doesnt move at all when you net it out, that is generally a sign it isnt alive.

Ok thank you much. That was my thought, and I know it's kind of an idiotic question, but i once thought an upside-down cory was dead and it moved its fins when I tried to net it. It got back to normal after I did a week if daily water changes and didn't feed them for a day. I'm scared to death I made it suffer, but keep telling myself there at least would have been some sort of sign of breathing. I hope. Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom