Waste control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pfloyd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks -

I have a 55 Gal tank, in use for about 2 months or so. I have a few small Africans in it as well as a small Pleco and a slightly larger (tho still pretty small) Raphael cat.

My nitrates spiked recently. I've water changed them back down. but I',m wondering what advice you all have for dealing with waste in the tank. I try to be careful about feeding amounts, but I know waste is building back up.

Is there a fish or something I can put in the tank that will help deal with the issue? I always thought that's what Plecos were for, but I'm learning they actually produce a lot of waste on their own.

Other than more frequent water changes than I think should be necessary, how do I control waste and Nitrate / Nitrite buildup in my tank?

Thanks.:banghead:

If you have a gravel substrate in your tank, I would suggest gravel vacuuming it. I have had a lot of success with my 29 gallon freshwater tank because my waste is so low. I only have an HOB filter to remove particulate matter. You have to focus on getting rid of larger pieces of food or detritus from the substrate because they are a big part of nitrate problems in many people's systems. In addition, try feeding your tank less so that your bio load becomes less heavy. You should also work on doing a large water change to fix the problem immediately.

Thanks. I just did about a 30% water change, hopefully that will help with any immediate issue.

What do you all suggest as far as pulling all rocks, fake plants from the tank when I vacuum? I've always wondered if the stress on the fish of doing that is worse than the benefit of cleaning under the rocks?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom