Wat fish will help get rid of green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicholashendrie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I hav alot of green fury algae and i am getting my nitrates down at the moment and am giving hardly any light !! Wat fish can i buy that will help the process , or even crabs ?? Any advice is gd advice

Bristle tooth type tanks (like the Kole) and lawnmower blennies will eat some of it, but I would not advise getting any fish solely for algae control. If you have have high nitrates, that is what is fueling it. If you get that under control, it shold die back on its own. High phosphates and low magnesium can do that sometimes as well.

The best animal whos sole purpose is to eat hair algae is the sea hare. Only problem is you should wait until your nitrates are down as it is an invert and is sensitive to nitrate. You do NOT want one of these to die in your tank because they can melt away in your tank. The one i had did a good job and i could see its head actually plucking the hair off the rocks. Unfortunately, it starved to death after all the algae was gone. I removed it right away.

Back
Top Bottom