watchman goby and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
while my tanks cycling, i was hoping to get a watchman goby, and a shrimp(s) to go with him

1. do they only like pistol shrimp?

2. i know keeping 1 goby is ideal, but what if i have 2 or so pistol shrimp, will the goby only pick one?

3. how much sand should i have for the goby/shrimp have to make a hole? right now its pretty shallow

1. Yes the relationship is usually only pistol shrimp.
2. I would say one goby to one shrimp. I have seen two gobies and one shrimp but never one goby and two shrimp.
3. They recommend 3-4" of sand to make them feel at home. However, I've seen 2-3" work too. They will find the best spot to make their home.

One last thing, I wouldn't cycle with a fish. I'd go with the fishless cycle. Look it up on this site and it'll tell you how. I wouldn't put anything in while its cycling though. Not only is it not humane, it will waste your money. It'll die in a week or so. Just drop a cocktail shrimp in there and let it cycle that way.

Just from having my own Shrimp / Goby pair I would say 3" is them mimimum I would ever go. The shrimp built a tunnel system under the live rocks for him and the Goby. If I had less sand I think it wouldnt' be enough room for them to be happy in there. The shrimp and the Goby sleep in a main "cave" that the shrimp built. The shrimp seals off the entrance at night with some empty shells and extra sand.

The shrimp is constantly at work perfecting the tunnels and moving sand around, I think it keeps him happy and builds up those muscles (JK on that last comment). :D

I don't think the Goby really does any work, he just hangs with the shrimp and guards him when he comes out in the open. It's funny watching the Goby go under the rocks on the left side of the tank, then appear a few seconds later on the right side. LOL.

From what I understand the goby brings the shrimp food and the shrimp builds the tunnels to protect them. Its kinda cool how they work like that.

The shrimp has very poor eye sight and relies on the goby for protection from preditors. In return, the pistol digs the den the two live in. If you watch this relationship closely, you will notice that whenever the pistol is out of the den, it always has one atenna on the goby at all times. If the goby moves too far and the pistol looses contact, it will shoot right back into the den.

ntswift said:
One last thing, I wouldn't cycle with a fish. I'd go with the fishless cycle. Look it up on this site and it'll tell you how. I wouldn't put anything in while its cycling though.

i always come off wrong.

i am doing a fishless cycle currently, and am very much into animal rights, you dont have to worry about me throwing some damsels in to cycle a tank

Back
Top Bottom