Water change...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

serena00

Aquarium Advice Freak
How does everybody do their water changes on these big tanks?

I struggle with my 36g... Haha

Is there a way to make it easer such as a hose on my sink or something?

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

When I get my 55g setup I'm going to get a longer hose to simply just drain the water right out the window. And to put the water back I'll probably just have to carry buckets ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I use a garden hose from tanks to sink, all on the same level. I get the flow started with good old suction and empty out about 3/4 of the tank. To fill it, I use a fitting that screws the hose right on to the faucet, making sure I use enough dechlorinator and matching the temp of the water by at least a couple of degrees.
No more carrying buckets for me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use a garden hose from tanks to sink, all on the same level. I get the flow started with good old suction and empty out about 3/4 of the tank. To fill it, I use a fitting that screws the hose right on to the faucet, making sure I use enough dechlorinator and matching the temp of the water by at least a couple of degrees.
No more carrying buckets for me.

This is what I wanted to do but I'm not sure how to find one that fits on my 80's sink faucet

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I use a python No Spill Clean and Fill water changer for mine-- Highly recommend it. I will never go back to buckets !!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if you dont want tank water in your sink or you want higher flow you can snake the end of the aqueon or python water changer out a window or door its a little effort to prime it but you can put a squeeze pump in line its what i do for my 200 gallon tank. I can drain half the water out of the tank in 10 minutes add 4 capfuls of prime hood the faucet end to the sink turn the faucet on get the temp right sit down and watch TV while it fills for 20 minutes. I bought extra hose from homedepot so i can get the water to the middle of the lawn till i get a new place and make me a pond or garden.

My tank is a 175g Bowfront.

I did an 80 gallon water change yesterday.

My tank is plumbed to a sump in the garage, normally I will start a siphon and run a hose out of it, and get another water hose filling two 5 gallon jugs at a time, and just pour in slowly as water is removed.

When it was a reef tank I had 55 gallon drums I would fill with RODI water and have to premix, honestly I can say over the last several years i only did one or two decent water changes on my reef tank. It always had a little algae here and there but everything always stayed pretty nice.

It's all a major pita if u ask me.

I use a pond pump to empty the tank and a python to refill it. Takes about 30-45 minutes to change 75 gallons of my 150.

I drain my 55g into a 25g rolling garbage can then roll it to my bathtub and dump. Lol it's pretty heavy tho..
5g buckets w prime to fill.. I'm a little nervous adding tap water straight to the tank... It would be nice tho lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom