water changes: thinking outside the bucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a couple ideas for water changing solutions last night. Was wondering if these are employed somewhere or if they are feasible.

Also general discussion about water changing ideas is encouraged!

1: a system to change just a few gallons per day. This would eliminate fluctuations in parameters between water changes.

2: a reservoir hooked up to the sump, such as a twenty gallon tank, hooked up with shut off valves so it could simply be disconnected and replaced with an identical tank full of fresh salt water for very simple water changes.

I have been reading all about auto water changers. Believe it or not im one of the ones that hates doing pwc. Im going to try and make one that works on a timer. If i fill a tote,,tank,trash can etc.. with clean water with a pump on a timer and it kicks on every day for 5 min. The water will drain to the sump the sump will have a drain or max water level drain on it. So it will overflow into another tank or my.plans are to hook it into my drain line on my.sink next to my tank.

Make sence?

I have been reading all about auto water changers. Believe it or not im one of the ones that hates doing pwc. Im going to try and make one that works on a timer. If i fill a tote,,tank,trash can etc.. with clean water with a pump on a timer and it kicks on every day for 5 min. The water will drain to the sump the sump will have a drain or max water level drain on it. So it will overflow into another tank or my.plans are to hook it into my drain line on my.sink next to my tank.

Make sence?

Yes and I better get a email when you figure it all out lol.

If you had two pumps that pumped the same gph you could put it on a timer at the same time. One pumping to the drain line, the other pumping into the tank. There would be a lot if variables there though.

If you had two pumps that pumped the same gph you could put it on a timer at the same time. One pumping to the drain line, the other pumping into the tank. There would be a lot if variables there though.

Yea I'd rather drill a hole for safety. Plus on the option of having it drain someplace else you'll still have t empty it. If I'm gonna do it I don't want to do much of anything. Lol

I really like my breakaway reservoir idea. Just unhook, roll away, replace. Repeat.

Not automatic, but simple.

Back
Top Bottom