Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, now that my levels are fine I will need to start doing water changes. What is the process of doing this? I have the "vacuum". How much water do I take out? (29 Gallon tank) What is the best way of doing it? HOW do you do it?

I use a python instead of the gravel vac. It's quicker and less messy to do multiple tanks.

1. I turn off the power strip for the filters and heaters.

2. I siphon off 1/3-1/2 of the tank water. If I'm cleaning filters, I'll use the gravel vac and bucket to get water to rinse sponges.

3. I add my dechlorinator.

4. I get the tap temperature close to the tank temp. I prefer to add water that's a few degrees cooler than the tank water.

5. I refill my tanks

6. I prime my filters and turn the power on again.

It takes me about 30-45 minutes to do my four tanks. Maybe 90-120 minutes on filter cleaning day.

Is the python the same thing but attaches to your faucet/sink?

im assuming you have a self start vacuum if this is the case suck in on the tube to start the flow just press the bottom of vacuum into the gravel and just keep pushing it up and down into different spots careful not to let your substrate climb the tube then you will end up siphoning it out. siphon about 20% of the total water out..like maybe until you have brought the water level down about an 1 1/2in..but since its newly set up maybe you should just siphon from water not the gravel because bacteria live there..im not sure

Is the python the same thing but attaches to your faucet/sink?

Yeah. The gravel vacuum generates better suction if I actually need to clean something out of the tank, but the python is faster and neater because I don't have to carry buckets back and forth to the laundry tub, slopping water on the floor as I go.

Hey, now that my levels are fine I will need to start doing water changes. What is the process of doing this? I have the "vacuum". How much water do I take out? (29 Gallon tank) What is the best way of doing it? HOW do you do it?

As said, between 1/3 and 1/2 of the water is fine. I have a 64 litre tank and I generally take 15 litres out during a water change which is just over 20%, I take that amount as my bucket just so happens to hold 15 litres!

The vacuum is just a syphon, they are easy to get going just put one end in the tank and then at the bucket end suck the tube until you see water coming over the edge of the tank, then release quickly to avoid drinking the tank water!

I sometimes switch my filter off when doing this, sometimes not depending on how much water I'm taking out, everything else stays switched on.

During all this the tetras hide away in the corner, the mollies come up to the top to see what's going on and the catfish carry on doing catfish things seemingly oblivious!

Back
Top Bottom