water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK so i started my first planted tank a few weeks back with a silent cycle. This is my first planted but I've done enough reading to make my brain hurt. The one thing I'm not sure of is water changes. How often should I be doing them? Its a 55 gallon heavily planted with stem and anubais etc.. I have 9 skirt tetras and 2 candy stripe plecos along with assassin and pond snails. I am currently only using root tabs and leaf zone for ferts and run an hob for a 40 gal. Just a cheap aqueon filter with just a sponge. Also running a canister filter with floss, sponge and ceramics. I haven't done any water changes yet and my parameters are all normal ammo 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10. Also using eco complete mixed with sand and fine gravel as substrate. I've read some people say not to do pwc's and others say to do as regular once per week. So I'm confused.

I have drift wood that has leaked tannins pretty significantly and I'm worried that with the water being tea coloredd that the lights aren't getting full effect, not to mention its not as relaxing not being able to fully see the plants and fish. Its not blackwater by any means but dark enough. Should I be using carbon on and off to remove the tannins?

I have drift wood that has leaked tannins pretty significantly and I'm worried that with the water being tea coloredd that the lights aren't getting full effect, not to mention its not as relaxing not being able to fully see the plants and fish. Its not blackwater by any means but dark enough. Should I be using carbon on and off to remove the tannins?

To answer your first question about pwc's... I do a 50% weekly w/ a spot vac of the gravel, and filter rinse, (I have a 55g planted tank too).

About using carbon to remove the tannins, you can. However, you will also be removing the ferts from the water. I've heard of driftwood leaching tannins for months, so using carbon for that long could get costly when it comes to adjusting your fert dosage to make up for the loss.

Did you happen to soak the driftwood? If so, how long?

Yeah I soaked it for 3 days pouring boiling water over it periodically and dumping the old water beforehand. They are mind of big so I had to soak them in a seperate container and could boil them on the stove. But its the mopani driftwood which I've been told can leach a fair amount. I don't mind some of the tea coloring, just want to actually be able to enjoy the fish and get full use of my lighting. With the color of the water being darker, just seems the light isn't penetrating the way it should.

Yeah I soaked it for 3 days pouring boiling water over it periodically and dumping the old water beforehand. They are mind of big so I had to soak them in a seperate container and could boil them on the stove. But its the mopani driftwood which I've been told can leach a fair amount. I don't mind some of the tea coloring, just want to actually be able to enjoy the fish and get full use of my lighting. With the color of the water being darker, just seems the light isn't penetrating the way it should.

That's what I have in my tank, Mopani Wood. It's only a 12 inch piece though. I soaked mine in a bucket of hot, dechlorinated tap water and changed out the water every morning and night for 10 full days. It leached quite a few tannins when it was soaking but didn't soak any when I put it in the tank. I've had it in the tank for around 9 months and my water is crystal clear.

Perhaps you could try soaking it for longer? I know it must be a pain w/ large pieces, but it could help. You could then use carbon to get rid of the tannins while your wood is soaking. Just a thought. :D

I honestly have no idea if your lighting would be 'dimmed' by the tannins in your water, so I'll leave that open for someone else.

Ya i ditto what the others says. I just feel bad not doin pwc! Hahaha but I do 20% twice a week because my ph in my tap and tank varies! And carbon isn't a good choice when u have plants because they remove trace elements from ur water column. I've heard from mr limpet ( big fan of his) that polyester fibre (the ones use for cushions and stuff) does a great job removing these stuff! ;) just make sure there's no additives/chemicals!

McLumpy said:
That's what I have in my tank, Mopani Wood. It's only a 12 inch piece though. I soaked mine in a bucket of hot, dechlorinated tap water and changed out the water every morning and night for 10 full days. It leached quite a few tannins when it was soaking but didn't soak any when I put it in the tank. I've had it in the tank for around 9 months and my water is crystal clear.

Perhaps you could try soaking it for longer? I know it must be a pain w/ large pieces, but it could help. You could then use carbon to get rid of the tannins while your wood is soaking. Just a thought. :D

I honestly have no idea if your lighting would be 'dimmed' by the tannins in your water, so I'll leave that open for someone else.

I've read somewhere that carbon does to some degree reduces the amount of light from reaching the bottom of ur tank. But Ive never experienced this myself! Haha

tannin stained water can definitely affect light intensity, but if the plants are growing fine for you then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I do water changes on my planted tanks every 3 or 4 days but only about 20-25%, mainly to introduce some free micronutrients. Planted tanks can go much longer without water changes but it's really your call on how you do it.

Yeah I've got a few large prices totaling The length of the tank at 48 inches and about 2 -4 inches wide depending on the piece. So the leaching could he coming from any of them. I also have anubais nanas and other plants already started rooting so I'd hate to take them out and risk damage to the plants.

Hubert90 said:
Ya i ditto what the others says. I just feel bad not doin pwc! Hahaha but I do 20% twice a week because my ph in my tap and tank varies! And carbon isn't a good choice when u have plants because they remove trace elements from ur water column. I've heard from mr limpet ( big fan of his) that polyester fibre (the ones use for cushions and stuff) does a great job removing these stuff! ;) just make sure there's no additives/chemicals!

From everything I've read, carbon actually only removes organic matter not mineral matter. So it shouldn't have a huge affect most ferts. Jut what I've read. I'm by no means a chemist.

jetajockey said:
tannin stained water can definitely affect light intensity, but if the plants are growing fine for you then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I do water changes on my planted tanks every 3 or 4 days but only about 20-25%, mainly to introduce some free micronutrients. Planted tanks can go much longer without water changes but it's really your call on how you do it.

Stem plants are growing well.. I've seen death and growth in the crypts and the different varieties of anubais and the tiger Lilly is growing great.. been debating in cutting off full leaves that showed dead tips from shipping in the anubais.. I just pinched off dead tips when I got them.. I'm by no means a botanist and am learning the plant side

It's only the anubais.. and they are still young plants.. maybe four leaves on each in total having two leaves on each with blackened tips removed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom