Water chemistry for a 30g german ram breeding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a pair of German blue rams who have laid eggs twice in my community 55g tank. Either too many fish, too hard water, or too young of parents prevented the eggs from becoming wigglers. I want to set up a breeding tank for them. I have already gotten excellent information about using sand and providing plenty of hiding spots. My questions are about the water. If I use straight RO water, how do I maintain the biological filter and a steady ph? I have discuss buffer, neutral regulator, acid and/or alkaline buffer, but have always been too afraid to use them. I have kh/gh test kits, so if I use discuss buffer and RO water, test it until I get it to 1-2 gh, will I have to use anything else to KEEP the water this soft, without ph swings? Also, if bacteria can't survive under 6 ph, how do I cycle the tank? Thanks in advance for any tips you may have for keeping a soft water tank.

These are my pair! Worth every penny :)

Attachments

• image-3907811720.jpg
    image-3907811720.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 66
Beautiful rams. I cant answer any questions hopefully someone will.

I have a pair of breeding rams myself but never had wigglers either. I think if they are the only ones in the tank, you have soft water, and a ph of 6-7 I think you should have success. I use straight ro water too. And my fish seem healthy. I just add a tiny bit of aqueon plant food to boost minerals.

Thank you! And, I was working on the new tank, when the rams began to have problems. I have a thread in unhealthy fish labeled "what's wrong with my rams?" Please take a look if you can help with them. Otherwise, I'm still interested in feedback on water. Hopefully, they will pull through!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom