Water conditioners that won't hurt plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueyedbombshel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I'm trying to get some water conditioners that won't hurt my plants. Low tech low lighting tank with crypts and javas.

Also, something to buffer my pH to make it neutral/acidic. Does any one swear by a certain product or manufacturer? I currently use API C02 liquid boost and API Leaf zone.

I am planning on getting scarlet jem badis and trying to get my water quality right first.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi there!

I love my Seachem Prime, but have never had issues with any water conditioner being harmful for plants.

Also, if you do mess with the pH, be ready for potential phosphate spikes. Many regulating agents have phosphate as a main ingredient. While not dangerous to the fish, it can result in a sudden algae problem.

Fish can easily adapt to a pH given enough acclimation time.

Hope this helps a bit!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

I've never heard of water conditioners harming plants. I have almost the exact same setup and they do fine. You can lower ph (I think lower is acidic...) by adding driftwood, peat moss, or Indian almond leaves.

im unaware of any conditioner that harms plants....

also, you shouldnt chase a ph. a stable ph is always better then boucning around trying to find one you want.

Have to agree with all the others on any water conditioner being harmless. The only pH buffer I swear by is called "Don't touch It". Most efficient product I've never used.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Why are you wanting to change your pH? Do you know your GH and KH?

I lost several bettas to the after effects of pH swings, on the way to learning that my water does need supplementing. HOWEVER the answer wasn't product that affects pH directly.

Here in Portland the tap water is almost like distilled, KH and GH barely register. So I use Seaxhem equilibrium to increase GH (because everything needs some minerals) and API cichlid buffer to increase KH (because that stabilizes pH).

It's very rare that you would have tapwater that needs supplementation though.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Hi there!

I love my Seachem Prime, but have never had issues with any water conditioner being harmful for plants.

Also, if you do mess with the pH, be ready for potential phosphate spikes. Many regulating agents have phosphate as a main ingredient. While not dangerous to the fish, it can result in a sudden algae problem.

Fish can easily adapt to a pH given enough acclimation time.

Hope this helps a bit!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish
Even better Aquavitro Premier!

Water Conditioners

Hi all,
I'm trying to get some water conditioners that won't hurt my plants. Low tech low lighting tank with crypts and javas.

Also, something to buffer my pH to make it neutral/acidic. Does any one swear by a certain product or manufacturer? I currently use API C02 liquid boost and API Leaf zone.

I am planning on getting scarlet jem badis and trying to get my water quality right first.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello Blue...

Seachem's "Safe" is a good product. Good luck with your Badis species. This one is a challenge and not one for a beginner. Most fish will adapt to most public water supplies, so a pH of 6.5 to 7.5 is fine for most species. The same for this Badis. Most of these kinds of fish will require a heavily planted tank and a fine substrate.

These fish are very particular about their food and won't eat much outside of the frozen kinds, so monitor what you feed. Uneaten food can foul the tank water quickly.

As for attempting to change the water chemistry and trying to maintain it, I wouldn't. Use your tap water and treat it to remove the chlorine and chloramines the public water people put into it to make it safe to drink. That's all.

Remove and replace the water regularly to keep wastes out. I change out half or better every week. The smaller the tank, the more often water needs to be replaced.

Have fun.

B

Back
Top Bottom