water evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
Man....I have a lot of questions so early in the morning. For some reason, I woke up thinking of all of these questions and thought I would get them typed before I forgot them all....
I have noticed in my 10g tanks especially, that during the week I have quite a bit of evaporation going on. Can I just top off the water when I see that or do I need to do a water change and then top off? I stay on top of my weekly maintenance and my water parameters never get out of hand, but I was not sure if you could just top off a tank that has had some evaporation or not.

if your changing water every week you can just let it go till you do the PWC. Or you can just add some tap water back in even w/o dechlor if its not a lot of water

if your changing water every week you can just let it go till you do the PWC. Or you can just add some tap water back in even w/o dechlor if its not a lot of water

ok....in less than a week's time my 10g is down over an inch (probably closer to 2") in evaporation. I will just top it off then, because my parameters are perfect on it.

The hotter the room temp and water temp the more evaporation you'll get, as water doesnt evaporate much in cooler temps. Also AC can dry out the air just like heat in the winter so more evaporation. So it just depends on your houses climate. Or dehumidifiers can cause more evap but all of these are pretty acceptable.

Yeah...our house stays a steady 78 degrees so I am sure that is what is causing most of the evaporation....plus the tank is located not too far away from the air conditioning vent, even though the vent is covered with a large chest, it still blows out from behind it.

Just top it off. I usually top my tank off around Thursday. Then it is still close to full so I can do a decent water change.

Back
Top Bottom