Water issues /deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlozzerz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 70l tank, had 4 tiger barbs, 5 neon tetras and 2 loaches, been running a good 8 months now without troubles. I do a 25% wTer change every 2 weeks. I feed flakes as per the aquatic shop recommendations.

In the last 2 days we had 1 dead normal looking barb, followed by a presumed dropsy death (bloated, pineconing).

I will admit that as everyone seemed fine before I hadn't water tested for a couple of months. On doing so now I had crazy high nitrates (100+) so googled etc and realised I needed to clean the gravel and glass as well as water changes. So have given tank a good cleaned, day 1 - 50% water change incl gravel pump and internal glass scrub) day 2 - 25% and day 3 -25%, nitrate levels getting less (between 5-20 now) but I don't know how to reduce them anymore.

Also, after water change fish are happy, couple of hours later all at the top of the tank. This has happened a couple of times. I questioned if the heater was working, it's not amazing, but maintaining 25 degrees.

Any clues?

Thanks everyone x

Out of interest did you clean the filters? Not sure what gravel pump referred to.

I'm wondering if the fish are adjusting back to cleaner water or you have a mini-cycle from gravel debris stirred up. Are they gasping? If so I'd increase aeration.

Do you have readings for ammonia and nitrite and ph as well? Also how different is tank and tap ph?

In my case I found as the fish grew I had to increase water changes to maintain conditions closer to my tap change water.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Yes I've always cleaned the filters on water changes.

The other readings were all 0.

The gravel pump, is the hosepipe with the wide bit on the end that sucks up the gravel, spits it back out but takes all the dirt. Really impressed with such a cheap simple bit of kit.

I think you could be absolutely right about adjustments, I think the 2 died from the high nitrates before I knew it was a problem.

I read last night about making sure the surface of the water is getting good movement to get more oxygen, so I turned the filter nozzle upwards. Went to bed concerned about body count in the morning but delighted to report much happier active fish this morning :) not gasping at top of tank :)

I am tempted to leave them alone for a week now (monitoring levels of course) and not do anymore water changes and let them settle, would you agree?

Also, other than the filter how can I aerate the water any more? We had the worlds noisiest air stone at one point but it drove us all crazy and local aquatic shop told us they weren't necessary.

Thanks for your help,
Tina

I would wait a few days to a week for another water change. They are necessary but the levels being so far off, you don't want to shock the fish. I'd see it as an in tank acclimation IMO.

As for aeration, do some research for air pumps. I just ordered one from Dr. Foster & Smith, should be here Tuesday. Reviews were good. But an air pump with a stone or wand would be best bet for that.

You can also add a power head or wave maker to point at the surface instead of a bubbler. Hydor koralias are good power heads and you can get them at a decent price.

You should test water periodically. For myself, I do 25% weekly or 50% if I miss a week or as needed.

Don't over clean. Change water and gravel vac only 1/3 to 1/2 the tank. Don't scrub filter. Rinse filter media in used tank water or dechlorinated water only.

Feed less for now. Some flakes are very messy and can dirty your water faster. You may want to try pelleted diets ?

This is a nice article on causes of spikes in Ammonia or Nitrate.
http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/water/71-autotrophic-bacteria-manifesto.html

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above really. I have my canister turned up to agitate the water permanently. One other way is of course water changes will reduce organic debris so less bacteria needed which is less oxygen needed.

Back
Top Bottom